I need help deciding.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Meredith

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have been struggling with a decision for the past few days. I think I may want to trade in my angel fish. I feel terrible for even thinking it. But he is picking on the other fish more and more. I don't know what to do. He hasn't been with other angel fish since he was a baby and I am afraid if I trade him, he wont do well. Getting another tank isn't an option right now. Also he is the Main fish in there, the focal point. And if I take him out, I am going to have to start all over again trying to find a peaceful larger fish. I guess I could do a school of fish. I just don't know. Any advice?

I understand. You are reluctant to add more angels fearing aggression. I put my agressive angel in a QT for a weekend, redecorated the tank. Its agression tapered off after doing that. You could add one or two more angels while the agressive on is in the QT, and when he comes back he might think he is the newbie and behave. Or he might just start up again. Its a hard call. Angels make great themes for the tank, but I am partial to them.

Usually an angel in that size tank alone with other fish isn't a problem. Though fish can be very individual just as we are. If he's causing stress and injury, then you should trade him out. A healthy adult angel will do fine if you have a good LFS in your area to bring him to.

You could always trade him for another angel...perhaps even a pair. Maybe he just wants a mate. It could be spawning time and the fish could be "feeling his oats" if you know what I mean.

I know he isn't hurting the fish, but he will chase the guppies and the hatchets. I think they may look like food to him. If I put in another angel and its the same sex (I don't really know if "he" is a he or she) will it cause problems?

Introducing a new adult angel can be a challenge sometimes. You never know. If you do get another angel, make sure it is the same size or bigger. Angels will leave small fish alone if the small fish are introduced before the angel. Any small fish that goes in there after is fair game as food.

Correct me, but isn't your stocking for your tank quite a lot. Maybe if you move some of the other fish your angel may not be so aggressive and territorial, cause by glancing at your signature you seem to have a lot of fish in you tank.

That is not stocked for a 55 gal IMO. Most of those fish don't even get to 3" except the pleco and angel which will exceed that.

unknown_7 said:
Correct me, but isn't your stocking for your tank quite a lot.

Yeah, I would say I'm pushing it. Another excellent reason not to add another angel. I think the perfect solution would be another tank. I guess I will just wait until I find a super great bargain tank, and move him then. Every time I think about giving him up I get sick to my stomach.

I personally do not think you are anywhere near overstocked. It might be a good option to exchange your fellow for some smaller Angels, perhaps 3 juveniles? If you got them small enough they would be unlikley to bully your other fish and will get used to them as none food items....Good luck with whatever you decide anyway!

I don't think you are overstocked either :roll: . All those fish are small. You should see my 55gal tanks (way overstocked). I would get another angel about the same size and see how it goes. I would put the new one in something different until it adjust then introduce him to the other angel. He'll have a better chance that way if your angel decides to pick on him.... If you put him in right away... then move things around redecorate to confuse yours some. Make him not so territorial... Good Luck with whatever you do....

Back
Top Bottom