I need help fast, eep!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lyquidphyre

Aquarium Advice Addict
I just won an aquarium of ebay and they delivered it tonight and the filter isn't working!

So i have all these fish in a bucket and its already taken me a few hours to get everything else set up to find out that the filter isn't working.

I hooked up the undergravel water filter so is it okay to just use that until i get the other one fixed?

Yes, you can use the UGF until you can get the other filter working. I hope the substrate was still wet when you got the tank. If so, the bacteria probably survived for the most part. I would monitor ammonia and nitrite on this tank for a couple of weeks and be ready to do a water change if those parameters get too high.

Do check out the propeller. I have a TopFin 40 that is a HUGE pain in the butt to get going most of the time. I've fiddled with it for 15 mins straight before getting it going.

Pulled from the original auction...
91_1.JPG

38_1.JPG

With that many fish, I REALLY hope the substrate stayed wet and kept the good bio bugs alive. After a move and loss of a filter, you might be in for daily water changes trying to keep the water parameters OK. A loss of the bio filter in a tank that crowded could end up as a disaster. Just keep checking everything like loganj said to keep the fish OK. Try to offload some fish ASAP as well if you have not done so already.

How does the filter not work anyway? Does the impeller even spin? Do you have an extra filter from another tank?

w00t!! I got it working. Im not sure how good of a deal this was, bleh. They brought the filter- but not the filter cartridges. So i had to run to Petco super quick before it closed to get those, and to get an under gravel filter system which is having problems working.

Bleeeeeeeeeeh

Ouch, no used filter carts means less good bacteria, doh! The new UGF is going to take a while to establish itself as well. How were the rocks transported? You are likely going to have to cycle the tank over again. Can you get Bio-Spira anywhere? That might help a lot if your star tot have water quality problems.

I check my water tomorrow and if I see problems- which im sure there will be problems- i will get some Bio-Spira.

Also, I think there is an algea eater in the tank, but now there is no algea...is there anything I can feed him?

The rocks were put in a bucket and they were still damp with a tiny tiny bit of water in the bottom... and the little water that the fish came in.

What type of algae eater? Any idea? If it is a pleco then he will also need some drift wood in the tank. Also a slice of zuchinni is loved by many algae eaters.

Do you have a filter you can steal off another tank for awhile? At least until you are sure the tank is cycled.

The lady just emailed me letting me know she forgot the filters and asking if I wanted them, so she is going to drop buy sometime.

I went out and bought the stuff that you cut out and put in the filter (it doesn't have carbon in it) but its holding up for the time being.

Im not sure what kind of algae eater it is. Its fairly big and black and reminds me of a sting ray *nod*

Back
Top Bottom