I need help w/ violet gobies

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MUD

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a Violet goby in a 10 gallon tank with rocks and a cave for i to stay in. But he is not eating! I asked the store what i would need 2 weeks befor getting him, i got salt, and the cave and rocks for it and for food they said to get feeder fish so i did i got small ones and a few mid size ones and he still has not ate any of them!

Forget the feeder fish and try to feed it a few shrimp pellets or thawed frozen bloodworms. I think the advice your LFS gave you is a perpetuated myth.

so they dont eat live foods?
the pet-store said thats all they eat and not to put any other fish in with it?
ill try the shrimp pellets and see how it works out

They will, but smaller live foods (blackworms, etc.) are better and more readily eaten by them.

Ok. Let us know how it goes. Good luck! :)

I remember talking to you in chat yesterday. Did you get your water tested? Just wondering what the results showed.

I agree, try some blackworms or some frozen bloodworms and not feeder fish. Keep in mind a Violet Goby will outgrow a 10g. :)

I remember talking to you in chat yesterday. Did you get your water tested? Just wondering what the results showed.

I agree, try some blackworms or some frozen bloodworms and not feeder fish. Keep in mind a Violet Goby will outgrow a 10g. :)

i just got a cup of water and the pet store looked at it for free all they said was to put a bit more salt, and a air pump would not be a bad idea, and see how that works out.

What kind of salt are you using? Violet gobies are brackish fish and regular salt doesn't make brackish water. Use artificial marine salt like Instant Ocean. Get a hydrometer or refractometer to measure the specific gravity (salinity). You should aim for something over 1.005. Freshwater is 1.000.
The fish will quickly outgrow the 10 gal. Eventually you'll need something very large. Violet gobies have been known to exceed 24 inches in length even in aquaria. Adults may be predatory and eat smaller tankmates, so be careful.
The tank should have sand as the substrate. These fish are burrowers, and gravel may tear up their fins and/or damage their soft skin. I've also heard of them choking on it.
Make sure you include some algae in the fish's diet. It may sound surprising but aside from hunting and scavenging, violet gobies eat algae. Mine takes it out of the corners of his tank.

They are using aquarium salt to begin with, but after talking in chat I recommended Instant Ocean, as well as a hydrometer. Haven't talked to MUD since though, so I'm not sure if they ever got those things. Also, the tank is new (around a week) so I recommended getting the water checked. I think you should get a test kit for yourself because I'm surprised they didn't mention anything about ammonia or nitrite, since the tank is cycling....though I shouldn't be surprised because they sold you a fish for your week old tank....and fish that will outgrow your tank too. :)

How is the goby doing, MUD?

Some good info Gobioides. :)

Its MUCH better now i got a Hydrometer 2 days ago and some Instant ocean sea salt. i got the salinity at 1.005 its abit higher then the 1.005 so closed to 1.006. He has started to eat ALOT more!! i feed him 3-4 times aday and i got some algae disk's but i dont thank he is eatting them, OH and im getting a FREE 30 gallon tank! some old man on Free-cycle said it holds water and justs needs to be cleaned out, ill have to get a hood,light and filler for it but still its free:) im going to get it next week, and when my goby out grows the 10 gallon ill set it up for him!
Oh and my Hydrometer got all stuck the day after i used it LOL ill got to clean it off alot more
THANKS ALL FOR THE HELP!!!!!

Wow.. it's crazy how LFS think they eat fish just because their mouths are so large. Their throats are way to small to eat fish, they are filter feeders.

Hope he is doing well for you, I miss my old "Dragon's Lair" that consisted of 5 Violet Gobies that ranged from 9" - 14".

Actually, the more I research the fish, the more I find that as adults they really are predators. They've been known to eat tetras, tiger barbs, feeder goldfish, and tetras. Once mature they're also very territorial. I wouldn't keep 5 of them in any aquarium, considering their potential size (2 feet+) and the damage they can do to each other.

As adults they are are easily over 2 feet so yes one could eat a small fish, but anyone posting about them on here will have one in the 6-10" range and those are not capable of eating one.

I also agree they are territorial, when keeping multiple the more the better (within reason). Having 4-6 will even out the aggression. I kept those 5 for over 2 years with no real issues. Just ensure they each have their own cave, extra caves are a plus. Also spread the food out across the aquarium, not just in one place.

Back
Top Bottom