I need help with my fish.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

panda

Aquarium Advice Newbie
My parents got me a red cap oranda and a chinese algae eater, they are in a 1.5 gallon tank. At first they seemed to get along fine, but recently the chinese algae eater has been trying to suck on my oranda. This morning I saw that my oranda has to red dots on it's face. I took out the chinese algae eater and put it in a small bowl. I am inexperiances with these types of fish, should i be worried about my oranda? What can I do?
-Thanks

Well, I would first say that a 1.5G tank is not large enough for these 2 fish. That amount of water would easily become overpolluted with ammonia, causing stress that will make your fish susceptable to any number of bacterial/fungal infections.

Do you have a test kit? My guess would be your water paremeters are way off for keeping fish long term. I would invest in a larger tank if you want to keep them around.

Thank you for replying. I am planning to buy a test kit this weekend. Would this tank be acceptable just for my oranda?

Most (if not all) experienced gold fish keepers would say no. Gold fish are among the dirtiest species of fish you can keep. To keep the fish healthy for the long term, you would want to look at a tank that is 10G+.

Oh man. As far as the red dots on my oranda what can I do to make it get better?

It depends... it sounds like a potential bacterial infection. A little aquarium salt (NOT table salt...) could potentially help. If it looks really bad or your fish is exhibiting other symptoms, treatment with an antibiotic such as erythramyacin may prove effective. A photo may help diagnose the problem further.

1zzhvlg.jpg

When I use aquarium salt is it okay if my chinese algae eater is in the same tank? I only have one tank. Is it okay if I leave my c.a.e. in a bowl by its self?

21dlcl.jpg

those types of algae eaters have the tendency to get agressive in confined areas and as they start to get old. if you put it back in the tank, more than likely it will continue to attack your goldfish.

Welcome to AA! Unfortunately you have a mix of fish that is not good for a couple of reasons. The chinese algae eater needs to be kept in a tank with more aggressive fish that can fight off the sucking on slime coat. Also you would need at least 10 gals, preferrably 20 gals, for an oranda. I would get a 10 gal, check craigslist near you for a deal on a used tank, and return the Chinese algae eater to the store or give him to another local aquarist.

Back
Top Bottom