=) I need help with my husbands tank =)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tankrookie

Aquarium Advice Newbie

Hi everyone,
I am new to this. I am in desperate need of some help with my tank. My husband passed away in his sleep about 8 months ago, and shortly after I had our daughter and our son just turned 1.
My husband has a 90 gallon tall freshwater tank. As you can imagine I was vary busy with the kids and everything else going on. So let his tank go to hell. I had to give away most of his fish so that they would have a chance.
Right now the filter is not working, I tried to change the filters and it started to make all kinds of noise. So I turned that off. He also had a bubble bar connected and I have tried to reconnect it but that's not working. He tank also needs to be cleaned. I do know how to vacuum the rocks and stuff, but I don't know what to add to the new water or anything else. So really what I am looking for is someone or some kind of service to help me out with this. I need someone help getting it started again.
My husband loved his tank and all enjoyed taking care of it. I would love to keep it up and have our kids enjoy it and see that it was there daddy's and that it was a part of him.

Any suggestions, help or advice would be greatly appreciated Thank you and have a blessed day!

Well, Tankrookie first let me say I am so sorry for your loss. And I think you came to the right place to get your tank up and running again. Did your husband have any aquarium books? If not go to the library/bookstore and get a good beginner freshwater aquarium book. This will help you immensely and will be a good reference tool to go along with this site.

I personally recommend.
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/A...9/sr=2-1/ref=pd_bbs_b_2_1/002-5528030-9101647

because it is a very easy to understand book.

Now first, from what I understand there are still fish in the aquarium? So we need to get the filter working. I'm not sure what type of filter you have, but you said it started making noise when you tried to change the filter (cartridge?) Is this a hang on the back of the aquarium style filter? If so it might have just made noise because the water emptied out of it. Try putting the cartridge in the filter and then filling the canister with water and then turning it on. It may make noise for a minute or so but the water should eventually start running through it. If not it may need to be taken apart and cleaned.

Also did your husband have any kind of testing kit to test the water? If not I would buy one if you can so you can test the water and see what kind of shape you are in. Mostly you want to test for ammonia/nitrite/and nitrates.

As far as cleaning the tank I would vacumn the gravel and do a partial water change. Did your husband use buckets to change the water or did he have a python? Either way is fine. You should do small water changes as much as you can. If you are very busy I would aim for 25-30% 1 every two weeks. You may need to do more than that in the beginning if your water tests are way off. The new water must be treated with water conditioner. You probably have some already if not you definitely need to buy some. This will take the chlorine and/or chlormines out of the tap water making it safe for your fish. Do you know what kind of fish you have left in the tank?

I wish I lived near you so I could come over and explain everything and show you what everything does, if you could find someone near you to this that would help you alot. But I believe if you get a book then you should be able to tell what different things your system has and how it was working before.

So for now I would work on the filter. If you can't get it working try taking it to the local fish store and see if they can tell if its broken or not. Once the filter works do a small water change and make sure you add water conditioner to the new water. The old fish water is great for gardens and houseplants. After the water change test the water and post the results here and we will know better what shape the tank is in.

Oh I forgot to add that I think its great that you are going to try to get the tank running well again. And though it may seem overwhelming you are actually in great shape having such a big tank. The big tanks are way easier to maintain, IMO, then a smaller one. I have no doubt that you will be an expert in short time!

Thank you so much!!!

I did do what you suggested to the filter, I pulled the cartridge and changed it and wited for awhile hoping it would fill back up with water. I called the local fish stores and one of them is going to take a look at it this weekend. I will buy a water tester kit. I know that the water has to be just right for healthy fish, just didn't know how to go about checking. My honey always put alittle bit of this and that. He has no books he just knew what to and when I look in the cabinet under the tank theres all kinds of stuff.

Thank for taking the time to write out all this info it will be a great help!

Have a great day

Oh yeah I have one fish in this big o'tank. I don't know the proper name of it but my honey always called it a sucker fish, he said that it helps keep the tank clean. We used to have a big shovel nose cat fish, two convicts, two jack demsys, two red devils and another pretty fish that I can't remember. I feel so bad that I had to give them away but I have one fish left and I am going to keep him alive. Thanks again I hope you have a good day!!!!

who'd you give the fish away too? Maybe they wouldn't mind helping you out with your setup as well.....

Don't feel bad about giving them away at all. You had alot going on. Luckily you know the names of most of the fish so you can easily replace them with new ones if you desire the same set up.

I gave some of them to my cousin and he is a rookie too, and he and his wife have been helping me out alot ever since my honey passed. My cousin has two kids to and works alot. I gave the rest to a neighbor and he passed away two months after my husband.
I would rather do it my self so I could show my honey that I did on my own.
I know watches me and our kids, I think that he would be proud.

Thanks for being so nice

I'm also sorry for your loss. Do you know the brand of filter you have and the gallon per hour rating on it? I'm guessing that the suckerfish you're talking about is a common pleco and can reach up to 18" long. When you select fish, I advise you to look into the max. size of the fish before you buy it and remember the 1" of fish per gallon rule. You will want to do a 20% PWC or more per week. When adding water back to the tank, you'll want to treat it first with dechlorinator. http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Product/Prod_Display.cfm?pcatid=4057&inm=1&N=2004+112993+113565 Seachem Prime is the best dechlorinator IMO. Just add the recommended dose to the tap water you'll add to the tank and let the water sit for 15-20 to let the water temperature become the same as the air temperature.

HTH

I never let my new water sit before adding it to a tank. If you use a python to do water changes you can't let it sit anyway. I think as long as you try to get the tap water temp close to the tank temp you are fine. When you are only changing 20-35% of the water at a time it won't matter much if the temps aren't exact. Just don't forget the water conditioner/dechlorinator.

Also the 1" per gallon fish rule is not really effective for a 90 gallon IMHO. It really depends on what type of fish you want to stock with, their compatibility, as well as their ultimate size.

The Simple Guide to Freshwater Aquariums, by David E. Burochowitz is an excellent beginner book.

Also, the following website is dedicated to setting up your first tank, First Tank Guide Site Map

And as you have already found, Aquarium Advice is a terrific place to ask your questions. Ask as often as you need and I am certain someone will be able to point you in the right direction. (I will do my best to help, but I am just a newbie too!)

Welcome :D
I am certain your honey is very proud of you.

talloulou-why would you add tap water straight to your tank and then add the dechlor to the tank? I would be too worried about my fish getting Chlorine Poisoning.

Well from my understanding with a python you have to do it that way. Or you could add the water conditioner to the tank then the new water. I personally still do it the old fashioned way with 2 huge rubbermaid tubs. I don't let the new tap water sit for any length of time. I just fill the bucket from the tap, trying to get the temp as close to my tanks temp based on how it feels to my fingers (very scientific), add the water conditioner, and then put it in my tank. I have never had any problems doing this. Back in the day some people would let their tap water sit for a couple of days or 24hrs but now that most cities use chloramines instead of chlorine letting the water sit is pointless. At least that is my understanding.

Plus we are talking about small water changes 20-35% so I'm not sure your fish would get poisoned anyway. Though I would never recommend using tap water without water conditioner.

Ohh.....I thought you said you added tap water directly to the tank without being treated and then treating it once its in the tank. I change water the hard way, using a 2 gal bucket.

Hi....I'm so sorry for your loss, but really proud of you for getting the tank going again for your kids!

Just a caution...Don't let the fish store employees talk you into adding anything to your tank without checking here first. They may try to sell you pH adjusters and algae removers and lots of other things you don't need and that will stress your fish.

The most important things are a good filter, a good ammonia/nitrite/nitrate test kit, a good heater and thermometer, dechlorinator, and clean water. Check here before doing anything else.

You are going to become addicted in short order...Your husband will be so proud watching you! And I am sure heaven has tanks!

Welcome to AA!

I have fixed alot of filters and it sounds like you have a hang on back filter.. and from the sound that your describing I would say the impeller shaft is bent.. You could get a new impeller (much easier) from your local pet store or try to take a hammer to the medal part of the shaft an make it strait again (very very hard to do). The bubbler might be fixable as well.. if you can get all of the plastic fittings off of it you can try to bake the stone part of it to get it to produce bubbles again. If it was hooked up clogged then the diafram in the airpump might have been damaged, If so the air pump will be making more noise then normal and not putting out as much air as it should if any at all.. you can buy new diaframs as well, they are little rubber disk looking things inside the pump after tanking the pump apart its a matter of taking a screw out and putting the new one were the old one was and putting the pump back together again..
Im trying to give you the information to restore the tanks equipment as best I can so that you can keep it as it was.. from what Im reading this might be what you would like to do if you can.. I to am mournful for your loss.. I really hope this helps..

Thank you all for your help!

I will be taking all you advice. Greenmagi thanks I fixed the bubble bar. Your very right I would like to keep his tank the way he left it. I do have the hang on the back kind of filter I found the box it's an emperor 1000 of something like that which ever one you need for our size tank. It has two roller that the water move and a long tube like thing that pulls the water in. I do believe that something that is way beyond my knowledge and skill is broken. So I am going to take back to where my honey bought it. They will take a look at it and try to fix. Does anyone know how much something like that will cost? Oh and what is a python? and is it expensive?

Anyhow I greatly appreciate all the help and great advice. You all seem like good community of people. I hope you all have a great day

the impeller is the part in the filter that is inside the filter box just below, if you pull it out it is connected to it, the water intake tube (the long tube bringing the water into the filter).. it is a little propeller looking thing, if you call the place you husband bought it they should be able to tell you if they have that part in stock and if they dont have it in stock they will be able to order it for you..
a python is a water changing aid.. it hooks up to a sink to take water out of your tank and then refill it.. Ill post a link of it..
Python
The walmart around here sells this same model for ~$30.00 it would be alot cheaper for me to buy it from walmart.. bigals price is about the same.. but Id have to pay shipping..

I am almost sure it is the propeller part, when I took it apart and put it back in the spinning part would come apart. It seems like it's the part that pushes water on to the rolling things. I talked to the fish store and they most all parts for the filter instock and if I bring it in they could install it for me. The python, sounds alot easier than the buckets, I will be investing in one when I have a few extra bucks.
Thanks

Back
Top Bottom