I need help with my nerite snail!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Star209

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a tiger nerite snail that needs help. I was looking at my tank and noticed that he was what I thought to be upside down of the gravel. When I went to put him in hit rock I notice that some of the shell was missing at the opening. What can I do to help him grow it back fast??

I attached pictures of the broken shell. Its pic# 3. Also why does he look like that. He never looked like that before.

Attachments

• 20180418_204027_Film2-1.jpg
    20180418_204027_Film2-1.jpg
    148.9 KB · Views: 1,817
  • 20180418_204057_Film2-1.jpg
    20180418_204057_Film2-1.jpg
    102.8 KB · Views: 131
  • 20180418_204143_Film2-1.jpg
    20180418_204143_Film2-1.jpg
    168.9 KB · Views: 607
I have a tiger nerite snail that needs help. I was looking at my tank and noticed that he was what I thought to be upside down of the gravel. When I went to put him in hit rock I notice that some of the shell was missing at the opening. What can I do to help him grow it back fast??

I attached pictures of the broken shell. Its pic# 3. Also why does he look like that. He never looked like that before.
As long as he is still active and eating, the shell will repair itself normally, but shell growth is slow. As long as he keeps acting like a normal snail, he'll be fine unless his shell is broken from a snail villain that's been trying to eat him. That's going to depend on what kind of other critter you have as his tankmates.

Tank mates are 2 tetras, pleco, neon shark.
I'm not familiar with the feeding habits of the neon shark, but otherwise I don't see any major problem. The pic you showed was good, but I couldn't see the edge of the shell to see how fresh the breakage is. It could have happened awhile ago and you didn't notice before. Does he act and eat right? If so, he's fine. In the wild, he would be more susceptible to predators, but he should be just fone in your tank.

Right now he is staying in the same place where he was before he doesn't really move around or anything I do have a kultury bone for him other than that I do not know what to do since she has as hatch open which I'm not really sure what that means in the snail world I'm trying to do everything I can to save him

Right now he is staying in the same place where he was before he doesn't really move around or anything I do have a kultury bone for him other than that I do not know what to do since she has as hatch open which I'm not really sure what that means in the snail world I'm trying to do everything I can to save him
I'm really more familiar with apple and mystery snails. But it's been my experience that when the snail doesn't come out to eat, it is starving itself to death. This most often happens when a snail has been nippid at too many times by a fish when it comes out of its shell to eat. After awhile, the snail just stops coming out at all. This happened to one of my Apple snails. She got nipped at so much that she just closed up and never opened up again and starved to death. Since you don't know where her shell damage came from in the 1st place, this could be the case. I hate to be the bearer of bad news. I hope this is not the.case with yours.

I'm really more familiar with apple and mystery snails. But it's been my experience that when the snail doesn't come out to eat, it is starving itself to death. This most often happens when a snail has been nippid at too many times by a fish when it comes out of its shell to eat. After awhile, the snail just stops coming out at all. This happened to one of my Apple snails. She got nipped at so much that she just closed up and never opened up again and starved to death. Since you don't know where her shell damage came from in the 1st place, this could be the case. I hate to be the bearer of bad news. I hope this is not the.case with yours.
Hey, I was checking to see if your snail ever came out to eat. DrJ

He came out of his shell and moveing around on the rock. Im going to get some algie waffers to see if he will eat.

He came out of his shell and moveing around on the rock. Im going to get some algie waffers to see if he will eat.
Excellent! Affer so much time in his shell, I really thought he'd had it. Some algae wafers would be a good idea. It's a good sign for sure. Bet he's hungry!

Excellent! Affer so much time in his shell, I really thought he'd had it. Some algae wafers would be a good idea. It's a good sign for sure. Bet he's hungry!
Is he still active right now. I know it's only been 3 hours, but i care and I'm happy he came out of his shell. I hope he's grazing now.

I put him in a hospital tank its no diffrent. Hes more sucked in his shell

I put him in a hospital tank its no diffrent. Hes more sucked in his shell
I took the Apple snail out of my original tank too. But she was just so frightened by that time, she just never opened up again. I hope yours will recover.

Back
Top Bottom