I need lots of advice!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

OwlByNature

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I currently maintain a 10 gallon fresh water tank. It's housing 3 corycats, and 2 guppies. Oh, and like 200 snails.
I started with one. I thought it was adorable and decided to allow it to stay. Well, I'm not too happy now. My boyfriend and I are going to do a thorough massacre of the snails on Friday. In case we don't get all of them, how can I get rid of them? I've gone to 2 pet stores, and neither carry assassins.
I'm thinking of moving my guppies to another tank, and getting more corycats, and something else. But I can't decide what else I'd like to put in the tank! Suggestions?
Lastly. If I move both my cats and my guppies, Can I keep a single gold fish in a 10 gallon tank with a filter made for 20 gallons? It says on the box it filters 100 gallons an hour. I don't know much about goldfish, but I feel that maybe just one goldfish, though it will create a ton of waste, can't be so filthy that my favorite new filter can't handle it. If I do get a goldfish, will it eat my snails?:)

Get a pair of dwarf puffers to live in ten gallon if you move other fish out. Happily keep them fed for a week or so. Or bag up snails and give them to somebody. I never can breed about for my single puffer

The goldfish will turn into a monstrous beast in a relatively short time. I had one I won at a carnival that about about 1 inch long. With in a year to a year and a half I went from a 10 gallon to a 20 gallon to a 55 gallon and eventually had to give him up because he ended up being around 8 inches long and a couple days before Xmas the bubbler kicked on while i was at work and when I got home... oh god, the smell!! I couldn't handle it anymore

Sent from my SM-N900V using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I had snails until my betta ate them all. I helped by pulling the adults but he hunted down the tiny ones. Took a while but I haven't seen a snail in over a year so I guess they're all gone. Real gentle guy other than going after those snails. Made me happy. They were hitchhikers on a plant... Same issue as you: "oh look a cute little snail" she said naively.

Oh and I agree on the goldfish....way messier than they're worth in my opinion

Get some kuhli loaches.they naturally snack on snails like any other loach except they don't produce much waste,don't grow very large,peaceful bottom feeder.I have some,and haven't had an out break of snails after getting them.they also have great personalities.

Sent from my LT28at using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Also a gold fish would be terribly bad for a 10 gal, a 20gal filter won't do much in the future. Gold fish don't have a stomach so food almost quite literally pass through them,all they do I poop,eat,poop lol

Sent from my LT28at using Aquarium Advice mobile app

you could always just get a feeder goldfish for temp, have him gorge upon snails and then return him within the warranty day:whistle: There are drawbacks to that idea though :lol:

In case we don't get all of them, how can I get rid of them?

Other people are tackling your stocking list.

here's how to get rid of the snails.
Buy a 2L of seltzer water. Meaning plain water, but carbonated.
Remove all the fish to another container (bucket etc). Siphon out about a gallon of water from your tank.
Pour in the entire bottle of seltzer water.
Watch all of the snails die a terrible death.

Wait a few hours, do a 50% water change, net out all the dead snails, put your fish back in.

I'm not sure if I am supposed to link to other forums, but credit where credit is due (plus a longer explanation) in this thread: the trick thread... - Aquarium Forum
(I apologize in advance if I am not supposed to link to another forum, I have only done it to give proper credit to the person who presented this method)

Everyone hates the snails :(

The only reason you are having a huge population explosion is because you are overfeeding. Cut down on the feeding and the population of snails will adjust. They aren't a had thing at all if you look at them as eating food that would otherwise rot in the tank.

Everyone hates the snails :(

The only reason you are having a huge population explosion is because you are overfeeding. Cut down on the feeding and the population of snails will adjust. They aren't a had thing at all if you look at them as eating food that would otherwise rot in the tank.

That is true. Like I said, my betta took care of the snails I had but he wouldn't have been able to deal with them all if I hadn't at the same time stopped overfeeding. That got rid of most of them on its own.

Back
Top Bottom