i need opinions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishnewbe420

Aquarium Advice Activist
Ok I changed out my gravel today and put in pool filters sand. Now all my snails are at the top of the tank ans same thing with my school of barbs. And to top things off I'm out of test strips and broke until next tuesday should I just assume it is an ammonia spike and do a water change?????

It wouldn't hurt to to a PWC just to be safe. When you do get to the shops don't buy test strips. They are notoriously inaccurate. Buy a API LIQUID master test kit.

Agreed. Most of the bacteria you need are in the filters, but some are on the substrate as well so removing it could have caused a mini-cycle. Did you rinse out the sand first before putting it into the tank? Is the water cloudy from the sand? Do you have sufficient surface agitation from your filters and/or an air stone?

I'd do as Mumma.of.two says and do a 50% water change with a good dechlorinator. Then go out and get a test kit; don't get strips, they are inaccurate and don't last as long as the liquid kit. The API Master test kit is best.

Agreed. Most of the bacteria you need are in the filters, but some are on the substrate as well so removing it could have caused a mini-cycle. Did you rinse out the sand first before putting it into the tank? Is the water cloudy from the sand? Do you have sufficient surface agitation from your filters and/or an air stone?

I'd do as Mumma.of.two says and do a 50% water change with a good dechlorinator. Then go out and get a test kit; don't get strips, they are inaccurate and don't last as long as the liquid kit. The API Master test kit is best.

Yup, me too. FYI I used the test strips for a while because I was broke too, but I found out the hard way the liquid test kits are soooo much better. The $30 for the API Master test kit is well worth it in the long run. Hope it gets better!

Back
Top Bottom