I need some advice trying to save an overgrown Pleco from a too small tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

shamu

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Last night on Facebook a friend of a friend said he had a 6 inch Pleco in a 10 gallon tank I finally convinced him to let me come and get him today because the tank was way to small. So I have few questions prior to go getting him, hope you guys can help,
Can I put him in a tank with another 5 inch Pleco?
I only have 3 other Tetras and 2 snails - it is a 60 gallon tank.
Also can I transport him in a large covered bowl that I change water in I do not have a bag big enough to go get him?
Also how much do I have to increase the feeding of the wafers by?
Any more advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

He'll be fine with another, and the fish and idk about the snails, he will probably try to jump out. And I would just feed a little more than what you feed now. Do you have driftwood? You need driftwood for them.

I also found out the tank has quite a bit of green algae growth not on the tank sides but actually in the water, will that transfer to my tank?

Yes it will. Do not put the water in your tank. Net him out. You should acclimate him tho. So your going to need to let the bowl sit in the water and keep it sealed or put him in some type of bag. I use ziploc baggies. You might be able to get a bag from a lfs for free

Do you know the pleco type? If it's a common it will outgrow your 60 fairly quickly. The 60 is obviously better for him than the 10, but plecos have huge bioloads, so the 5" and 6" pleco combined will dirty up the water in the 60g pretty fast. You may be better off taking the pleco directly to your LFS for rehoming so it has to go through less transitions.

Yes it will. Do not put the water in your tank. Net him out. You should acclimate him tho. So your going to need to let the bowl sit in the water and keep it sealed or put him in some type of bag. I use ziploc baggies. You might be able to get a bag from a lfs for free

Hmm...you find ziplock bags stay watertight? I am always wondering what to use to transfer fish and thought bags would leak....?

Awesome thanks for the advice maybe I should just take him to the local pet store, I really want to avoid anything with my tank, I just wanted to get him out of that small tank ASAP.

They do leak, but not enough to worry about, and I always make sure there is a blanket or shirts holding the bags right side up and in place, or put a plant weight in the two bottom corners of the bag and that keeps it from flipping over

I'd look for a covered bucket. I found one in a pet store last time I has to move my fish. Possibly a battery powered air pump and airstone. If the roads are anything like ours you want a big container with a lid that snaps on firmly. A home brew shop would also be a good source for a five gallon food grade bucket with a pre-drilled lid (hole intended for airlock, also good for airline.) maybe a bit expensive, but useful to have afterward as well, the outside is usually marked in gallons, and the bucket will have another gallon or so of space beyond five.

I also had a common pleco in a 36 gal. It was only 2-3in when I bought him and two and a half month later he was over 6 inches. Lucky I have a fish store that took him and gave me a smaller one. I think he is a bristlenose? He is only an inch long and should not get over 3 inches. In addition, I bought a couple of snails to help keep alge in check.

Back
Top Bottom