I need some help, please?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SteveJP

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi, I'm new to the whole forum thing, but I figured, since I want my fish tank knowledge and skill to grow, why not join one. Okay, I am going to be getting a 38 gallon tank when I move to my apartment in a month (tank was approved by owners). I have a 10 gallon now and the fish in it (look at profile for stocking) are going to move into it after it is cycled. My problem is that I dont know what a good HOB filter would be for it. I have an Aqueoun 30 on my 10 gal that I love and want to pair up with some thing else. I was thinking an Aqueon 55/75 or Marineland PenguinPower filter. And what is the advantage to having a bio wheel? Thank you for all the help.

Ideas

Piggyback your filter pad with the one already in there. I have an Aqueon 30 also and two will fit and only rinse them in old tank water or treated tap water to preserve your beneficial bacteria(BB). Don't replace them until they are falling apart.

When I know I will be adding a tank, I also add an additional one in the tank under the intake and above the air bubbler to start BB growing on it, and put in decoration which I will be using in the new tank to get them covered too. A month in advance. Even a week or two would help.

The last two tanks I have done this with worked without a hitch and I was able to do fish in cycle since it was already full of BB. Pretty much like not needing the cycle and having the tank ready to go.

Start with minimal number of fish. Add to them each week or as your tests show stable parameters. PWC, frequently, I did 50% 3x then 2x p/week at first. Or if needed. Tested the water every day and if something was a little high, more than once a day.

The tanks were additional to the original ones so if you are shutting down your ten you will have BB from your Aqueon 30 already. But who doesn't want an extra fish tank? For more fish? hahaha, good just for hospital tank if nothing else.

Then you will already have seeded filter media for your next one! I like Aqueon, and they work well with sand substrate too. Sticking with the same brand and your filter cartridge size, buy in bulk and save lots of $$, I think is the same size for the one you mentioned, but x2 pads.

Also check your water from the tap for ammonia. I found I was getting my tap water with .25 ammonia. So I used Prime water conditioner to help with that. I think you have to wait a day to get an accurate test result. Hopefully you don't have ammonia in your tap water.lol

Good fish keeping wishes, and happy learning to you.

Hi and welcome!!! I have both aqueon & marineland emperor 400 HOBs. Aquaclears are the favorite by far on this forum. I am happy with the aqueon 55/75's and they have LOTS of room for stuffing extra media in them though the cartridges are garbage. The marinelands are decent filters but they are quite noisy in comparison. They also have lots of options for media. The biowheels are an interesting feature but I dont think they make a huge difference. Pricing for the marineland emperor 400 and the aqueon 55/75 (also 400gph) are about the same on amazon. Personally, I would not purchase the marineland again and would try an Aquaclear next time because everyone talks so highly of them . Hope this helps! :)

Thank you for all of your help. I will probably go with the Aqueon, only because I don't want to have to buy 2 types of filters at a time: bulk is cheaper:). I can't wait to get this tank going. The only thing slowing me down is that I have to wait until aug 25th to move into my new appt., then I will give my platties and guppies the dream home they deserve:)

.... I have an Aqueon 30 also and two will fit.....

THANK YOU. Dear god I've been searching this answer forever today as I'm picking up a used filter like this in a deal and know nothing of them, never used an Aqueon filter. Many other types, but not these. At least this way I know if it's of any use to me as a secondary bio filter. :thanks:

Also trying to figure out if I can use other company's filters in it, if other companies filters will just slide in. The generic filters from Foster Smith, the BIO3 cartridges are much cheaper and use a clamshell so I can use foam in it instead of floss when I remove the carbon.

Do you know what the dimensions of the Aqueon cartridge frame is length and width?

I woyld recomen aquaclears since you dont have to buy media for it jusy rinse it out. If yoy have till the 25 i would suggest you buy ur filter and start it in your ild tank

THANK YOU. Dear god I've been searching this answer forever today as I'm picking up a used filter like this in a deal and know nothing of them, never used an Aqueon filter. Many other types, but not these. At least this way I know if it's of any use to me as a secondary bio filter. :thanks:

Also trying to figure out if I can use other company's filters in it, if other companies filters will just slide in. The generic filters from Foster Smith, the BIO3 cartridges are much cheaper and use a clamshell so I can use foam in it instead of floss when I remove the carbon.

Do you know what the dimensions of the Aqueon cartridge frame is length and width?

What size aqueon? The 55/75 filters I think are @5w x 7l. Aqueon filter cartdriges are garbage though & fall apart quickly- I stuff the filter housing with aquaclear filter foam instead & leave the blue plastic inserts in place.

What size aqueon? The 55/75 filters I think are @5w x 7l. Aqueon filter cartridges are garbage though & fall apart quickly- I stuff the filter housing with aquaclear filter foam instead & leave the blue plastic inserts in place.

It will be the Aqueon 30.

According to them, the 30-75 use the "large" filter.

You say the plastic frame is 5x7?

I've heard their cartridges aren't so hot. They are also not cheap compared to others. That's why I'm seeing if I can get anything else in there.

Marineland C cartridges for the same size filters are oddball shaped. 6 at the top, 5 1/2 at the bottom and 6 1/2 tall. So they and their substitutes will not fit.

I wonder what size the tetra filters are. Foster Smith also makes cheap replacement frames to replace those as well. Around a buck.

reefdiver said:
I woyld recomen aquaclears since you dont have to buy media for it jusy rinse it out. If yoy have till the 25 i would suggest you buy ur filter and start it in your ild tank

It doesn't have disposable media? That would help save a lot. How much of a hassle is it to clean? Sorry for all the questions, one more: how often should I clean it with the bio load I'll be putting on it?

I rinse mine in tank water every two weeks. But u can do it weekly. You have a sponge and bio rings you will have room to add one more thing. Lots of people use poly fill

reefdiver said:
I rinse mine in tank water every two weeks. But u can do it weekly. You have a sponge and bio rings you will have room to add one more thing. Lots of people use poly fill

I just ordered the aquaclear for 70 gallon tanks through amazon. This should be more than enough filter for what I want. And I read that it has an adjustable flow rate on it. I can see why these filters are so highly recommended. I hope its as good as everyone says it is.

Back
Top Bottom