I need some lighting advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

knightnurse14

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I stumbled into a bunch of 21" 55W 7100K Realux brand daylight compact fluorescent bulbs. I couldn't pass them up at $4.99 apiece at a surplus store. I keep a 125 gallon community tank with Java and Christmas moss and a bunch of Platy's, and some other community fish.
What I need to know is if the tank will look good with 4 of these or should I put up 6. I've never used the compact fluorescents and I don't know how much lighting it will take to make the tank look great. Also don't know if too much light is bad for the fish.

Thanks

don

You'd need more than 6... 10 or 12 probably...if you wanted any other plants. That would still be super low lighting. For the moss, 6-8 of them would probably do ok.

So 220 watts of 7100 k in a 125 gallon tank is super low lighting? I guess the two 30 watt normal output lights I have now must qualify as super duper low lighting! Come on already! My moss, and sword plants are doing well in what I have. Seems like an upgrade to 220 watts would be more than adequate for a community tank with some moss and sword plants

21" doesn't sound like compact to me. exactly what bulbs are they?

Hi jeffp. Sorry I thought the initial post said but I will read off of the box
Realux professional lighting systems
55 watt plug in u-bulb
Daylight 7100 k
Bias t-4 4-pin
Rapid start 21 inches
It is a thin twin bulb with 4 straight pins on one end and a couple of connecting points between the bulbs I am a lighting novice only used normal output fluorescent bulbs in the past. These r different

My bad... I misread that as well. These are the old school u shaped bulbs? I've never seen anyone use those on a tank, but I'd imagine they'd be the same as T8's or close to it. With a decent reflector on them, 4 would probably do ok. The cool thing is, you can add more. If you got a bunch, it sounds like you have enough to play with. Compact fluorescent are the little curly bulbs to me... I haven't even seen those U shaped bulbs since my granparents remodeled their house!

Hi jeffp. Sorry I thought the initial post said but I will read off of the box
Realux professional lighting systems
55 watt plug in u-bulb
Daylight 7100 k
Bias t-4 4-pin
Rapid start 21 inches
It is a thin twin bulb with 4 straight pins on one end and a couple of connecting points between the bulbs I am a lighting novice only used normal output fluorescent bulbs in the past. These r different

I was just confused because I was thinking a spiral CFL instead of a power compact. Anyway, I believe, if I remember correctly (which I very well may not), that PC is rated a little worse than T8s in terms of wpg. So 2wpg of T8 might be medium, 2wpg of PC lighting might only be low

Thanks guys. So I gather these r kind of old school out of date tech. Sounds right up this old guys alley I think I will put up 4 and see how they look found a nice bright kit with good reflectors and electronic ballasts online. I am definitely going for it.

Ok.... PC changes it then. PC is kind of old tech, not as good at penetrating as T5HO, and the reflectors aren't as good. Here's what I was talking about... Sylvania, FBO32/741/6/ECO, 32W, Low Mercury Content, TLCP Compliant, O# Those are old school haha. With what you've got, two would probably be sufficient for lower light. 4 would be verging on higher end IMO. Funny how a simple acronym can change so much isn't it? PC is still used in the reef world, though many prefer T5HO, MH, and even LED now.

That would be funny in an aquarium! The light kit I found looks well designed I can hardly wait to put them up. I may l finally post some pics maybe. My little 30 gal ghost shrimp tank is gorgeous. Making so many little ghosties now.

Had a blast the last couple of days putting 220 watts of power compact lighting in my community tank and retrofitting the 17 watt strip light over my ghost shrimp tank to run a 55 watt power compact bulb! It all looks great!

Back
Top Bottom