I need the help of some Betta people

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sliderfish

Aquarium Advice Addict
My fiance is slowing coming along to the idea of fish keeping as a hobby and has shown interest in getting a Betta. She would like to keep it in a centerpiece on our dining room table. This may sound in humane but I'm not letting her just buy a Betta bowl, throw in some flowers and stick it on the table. We are looking to use a large glass cylinder or other shaped object and I will likely even plant it. The fish will only be moved rarely and I will handle it with kid gloves. It is just the two of us and we rarely eat at the table lol. Nothing artificial will be used in the piece just sand/gravel plants and driftwood. Basically it will be a small tank, just a little different.

My questions are:

How big should it be? I don't want a 10 gallon tank on my table, but understand I need some size to it for fish/plant sake.

What plants would work best? I am new to planting (in water at least) and I need something small and eye catching that will do good in a room with a lot of natural light.

What over things do I need to allow for, such as heating? Will the Betta be ok without a heater if the room temp is 60-65 degrees?

If I am leaving something out that should be considered please enlighten me ;)

5 gallons is best, although they will be okay (as long as you keep up with water changes) in a 3 gallon. It will NEED a lid, and as big of a surface space as possible, since bettas take air from the top, as well as their gills.
You WILL need a heater, because they need a temp of at least 78*F.
You will need some sort of filtration, and depending on what size/shape the tank is determines what kind of filter you can put in there.
The best plants are ones that they can play around, lay on and hide under. You should probably check out low light plants.
You will also need some sort of light.
Please cycle the tank before you get the fish. :)

get the fluval edge, its a 6 gallon but really adds to a meeting room. no corners nice smooth lines, you will get alot of compliments from your guests.

yes but its behind that colored block part of the tank, the black or orange and they even sell waterfall walls for those things. But yes its a built in filter.

I plan on getting one for some reason. no where to put it but I still want it.

Like dkpate says, bettas do best in heated, filtered tanks like any other fish. Bettas also have a labyrinth organ that allows them to come up to the surface and breathe air, so they need some surface area of the water that they can get to. Vases with small openings, filled with plant stems, is the worst possible situation for a betta. Lids are necessary also to keep the air above the water surface warm and humid. If bettas breathe air that's too cool into their labyrinth, they could become sick. A steady, stable temperature of 80 or 82 degrees is best and it's hard to keep an consistent temperature without a lid. Otherwise, bettas will show symptoms of illness such as finrot.

Here's an excellent betta profile: http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f29/betta-splendens-125922.html

I love it! It could be exactly what I need...but at nearly $150 that may be wishful thinking for a 6 gal tank and a penny pinching fiance lol

I will look into it and did just see one on Ebay for $107, but the diy route seem inevitable if this project goes on...

I knew Bettas had a labyrinth organ, but didn't think to keep a lid for that reason, that will be kept in mind. Must keep a heater...

Well, even with the diy, you will probably end up spending the same thing.
If you got the Fluval, you would only need to get a heater. If you build your own tank, you will have to get the filter too, and it might end up costing the same thing. I have spent hundreds on my 4 bettas, but they're SO worth it! Bettas have so much personality!

The lid is so they don't jump out. They love to jump!

Those aren't bad...I will run everything by her and see what she thinks...Maybe she'll love the Edge!

Thanks for all the help and if anyone has more imput please fire away!!!

No problem. :) She will fall in love with the fish, I am sure of it!
If you have any more questions, just ask! Everyone thinks bettas are super easy to take care of (just throw them in a tank and voila) but they are just like any other fish, and need good care. :)

My wife keeps a betta in a Marineland Eclipse 5g. It's a nicely self contained tank. I belive the Fluval Edge uses an AquaClear filter. I looked at one for an RCS tank, but I thought it'd be too hard to clean.

Back
Top Bottom