I NEED TO KNOW ABOUT MY 10 GALLON TANK!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

felipe

Aquarium Advice Regular
hey, i got a 10 gallon tank for my fish about last october. I have 5 pretty big goldfish in it. 2 fantail midsize, and 3 shabumpkin goldfish about midsize. I also have to algae eaters and a tadpole. Is this too much for a 10 gallon tank? when should i consider getting a newer "big" tank? I am new to the whole fish keeping hobby, but i love it. it's really fun :?

That tank is marginal for one mid size goldfish. Two is really crowding it. Goldfish are "dirty" fish...they produce a lot of waste and really tax the filtration system on a tank. I'd say the least tank you'd want for all those fish would be a 55 and a 75 would be much better. Have you thought about doing a pond? If you really like this kind of fish, that might be an option. Also, although you can usually get away with the algae eaters, it's not a good idea to mix tropical and coldwater fish. Goldfish will grow quite large in time and you may even have to go to a larger tank for all of them in the future.
Logan J

how much bigger do you think i should go, becuase wouldn't i have to get a new filter that is for a bigger tank and everything?

I'd recommend a canister. If you want a hang on back (HOB) type, I don't think you can beat an Emperor 400. The canister would require less maintenance and probably provide better filtration though.
Logan J

title edited by reefrunner69

dude get some live plants and an air pump, and siphon and do water changes out your aquarium a lot i mean thats still pretty crowded but that dude that thinks you should have a 55-75 gallon tank doesnt know what hes talking about a 55 gallon is huge as crap and i say if your fish have been doing alright as it is why spend all this money on a huge tank. i dont know much about the filters but i would recomend an external filter, or i bet youd be best with a power filter with a bio wheel, you would probably like a hood with a filter built in to it with a bio wheel, i know eclipse makes em but im not sure if theyre not built in or what not. They also have floresent light fixtures for plants.

these are not games you want to play with people that can edit your posts...........

I agree with loganj 55 gallon minimum and with good filtration. I would double up, and use a good size canister filter like a fluval 303 plus a good biowheel power filter like an emporer 400. Goldfish are dirty like oscars. If you don't give them enough filtration its like they are swimming in thier own toilet. I use this set up on my oscars. I do a 50% water change weekly. And the amount of waste going up the suction hose is incredible, but the ammonia/ nitrate levels remain minimal. It should be a rule always over filter rather than under filter.

edited by reefrunner69

dude my fish are swimming in mountain dew and theyre just fine. no filter or anything, theyve been like this for 3 years.

title edited by reefrunner69, be careful :twisted:

hahaha no.

This post was edited by reefrunner69.
padlock.gif

Mountain Dew??? OMG The question is, what kind of environment "will fish live in" and what kind of environment "should we provide" the most beautiful creatures on the planet? One of the most beautiful fish, the betta, will live in a mud puddle. But is that where you should keep it, in a jar of muddy water? Of course not. How would you like to be breating your own sewage 24/7???

Nate and Felipe are the same people. :( Sad to see these kind of people who come in here and insult some of us who believes in our hobby. :|

for real Barney? They are the same people? That is awful for someone to be like that. And to call loganj names is a really uncalledfor move on their part. Youre right though, it is very sad. Fish and their friends are very wonderful, beautiful creatures, and should be treated respectfully. (Barney, Bangor, Maine huh? My mom used to live in Maine as a kid. I think either in Bangor or ....well that thought just escaped me. Anyway, Hi.) So, i guess we should take this entire thread as a joke?

Makes no difference to me. If he doesn't like the advice I give him (them?), he doesn't have to follow it. I replied to the email he sent me and I think that will be the end of my involvement with this post as I'm sure there are plenty of folks who can handle it.
Logan J

i swear logan, nate is a friend of mine i told about the website. sorry he is being such a *edited*, i hope you still give me advice :( PLEASE! i'm sorry about him

You really want help. READ Loganj earlier posted message.

If you dont get it, how would you like your living enviroment the size of a greyhouse or trailway bus bathroom?
I not starting a message to cause disgrunts or trying to offened anyone, but RESPECT is another thing to thing about to geting HELP.

This thread is closed! It will not be deleted, simply because some good advice was given and it can still serve a purpose.

Filipe, some friend...huh?

Personal attacks and flames will not be tolerated on this site, if you must post in an aggressive manner, do so elsewhere, if you do it here...your posting privileges will be removed!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom