I only feed my corys frozen brine shrimp - is that wrong?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

99RedSi

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Just curious if feeding corys (6 pandas, 1 pygmy) brine shrimp alone is a problem (nutritional value) ? I can't feed them flake food because it just sits on the surface. I've tried the sinking wafers but they ignore them!

?

Re: I only feed my corys frozen brine shrimp - is that wrong

If that is all they will eat then u can't do anything about that thats the only thing they ate and they were fine. IMO they are healthy because if they needed extra nutrients or whatever they would probably eat other things.
Hope this helps

O.K. I missed some words in there this is what it should have said

If that is all they will eat then u can't do anything about that thats the only thing my puffers would eat and they were fine and dandy . IMO they are probably healthy because if they needed extra nutrients or whatever they would probably eat other things.

Hope this helps.

You could try smaller food such as Hikari First Bites for newborn fish. Freeze dried blood worms or frozen brine shrimp are often more appetizing as well. Once you get them eating other food try breaking up the regular flakes into smaller pieces with your fingers or crushing the pellets with a pill crusher.

Well they are omnivores so they do need something else besides brine shrimp, in my opinion. You don't want to overload them on protein. My corys love algae wafers....have you tried those? And mine like shelled peas. Also corys constantly search the tank bottom for food. So if it looks like they aren't eating something right away it's possible that they will find it and eat it later. But I definitely would vote against offering them a diet of brine shrimp only. :roll:

yeah and id suggest blood worms or krill or something instead, since brine shrimp are mainly water as said earlier

I found these frozen alternative spiralina stuff at petsmart made by hbh ... the omnivores seem to love it ... it does color the tank a bit

Or try some nori (seaweed) tied to a rock. Try soaking it or any other foods in some garlic guard to get them interested. You could also try pre-soaking the flakes then letting them sink to the bottom for them.

I would drop in just one or two of the shrimp sinking pellets and sinking algae pellets. We have found that our Cory (we have 3 in one tank, 6 in another, and 3 in another) all like to eat at night once the lights are out. So try one or two pellets and leave the lights out they should go ahead and eat them. Brine shrimp isn't going to get it as far as a daily sufficient diet - its good as a treat but not a sole food diet.

Experiment with different foods there's got to be one that they like more than the brine shrimp or just as much. :)

my cory's like shrimp pellets and the flake food that falls down. Also, the little wafers that have a picture of a cory on the front, not the big pleco wafers (even my pleco doesn't like those)

I've never actually seen my cories eat the pellets or the wafers. I see them eat the flakes though. I even break it up for them, but they just sniff it and swim away.

Well, the next day the pellets or wafers are gone so I guess either the cories wait till they get soft or the gourmais, snails and shrimp are getting a treat :) I suspect the shrimp, because I caught one once pulling a wafer about twice its size into its little hiding place

Any luck??

Back
Top Bottom