i really need help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yeah I was thinking about getting an aqua clear filter since I heard good things. And which clean up crew would you recommend? I've tried algae eaters but they always end up dying, I would get otos but none of my pet shops sell em:/ and as for the root tabs, I'm only using one which is deep within the gravel

my clean up crew consists of on albino bristlenose pleco (stay small and clean well) I also have 8 ghost shrimp and 6 Amano shrimp. I hear RCS clean better but I can't get them locally so I got the Amano to supplement, and so far all the shrimp and the pleco are doing wonders for my tank.

I'll try the bristle nose pleco and I can't get shrimp since my betta already ate 4 outta the 5 I had aha. Should I change the filter cartilage as well?

Can anyone explain to me how to use the poly fill thingy? What do I need? And last, can anyone please tell me what this is? Its all over my gravel

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20110602_122755.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110602_122755.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 78
Can anyone explain to me how to use the poly fill thingy? What do I need? And last, can anyone please tell me what this is? Its all over my gravel

I believe thats just brown algae and the bn pleco should take care of that. Poly-fil comes in a bag looks like pillow fluff, all I do it rip off a chunck and stick it in my filter. But since my filter just runs with poly-fil I'm not sure how to do it with other media in the filter, I believe you can just do the same, but be careful cause it will expand when it gets wet.

I'll try the bristle nose pleco and I can't get shrimp since my betta already ate 4 outta the 5 I had aha. Should I change the filter cartilage as well?

on this, with your shrimp. They need a lot of cover so I'm not to sure but if you get more cover so the shrimp can hide I think the betta will leave them alone. Again I'm not to sure, I dont own a betta.

Do you know where I can buy it? And I was told it was diatoms but isn't that only in saltwater?

You said your filter runs with it, what filter is that?

You said your filter runs with it, what filter is that?

It's a topfin 30, stock filter that came with my 29 gallon. When I say it runs with it all I mean is that I don't have any other media in the filter bay, just the poly-fil.

Okay. So I'm getting a bristle nose pleco. How many should I get? And what should I do about my water?

Okay. So I'm getting a bristle nose pleco. How many should I get? And what should I do about my water?

only 1 bn pleco.. and the water, even though you said you have done it before keep doing the daily water changes and once the green is "gone", keep doing the daily changes for another week. It will work, will just take time and effort to get the water clean.

One would be fine, but if you think your goin to want more in the future, I reccomend you get more then one now, so they can grow with eachother. That way the won't aggressive towards eachother.

Okay thanks all. Can I keep my lights on or should I keep em off? Also my Java turned brown:/ I should dispose of it ,right?

Oh sorry, Java moss

Well is it the actual plant that is brown? With the pic of the algae on your substrate I would first see if it's this. Try to wipe it off with your finger or a cloth, if it comes off easily then it's just the brown algae. Once you get the pleco he/she should help with that as well. But don't forget to get some algae tablets when you get the pleco, even when my tank was covered I still tossed a tablet in the tank for the pleco.

Edit: I forgot java moss was a stem plant and didn't have leaves. So with that said, I'm not sure if the pleco will be able to clean it off or not.. hopefully the others following this post will be able to assist on this.

Here's a pic if it helps. Sorry its not So good:/

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20110602_132706.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110602_132706.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 54
Yea for me having no experience with java moss I can't really tell from the pic whats up with it.

Do you know what your bulb stats are for your light fixture?

Back
Top Bottom