I really need some help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tessalonica

Aquarium Advice Newbie
My husband accidently used a bucket that had PineSol in it to fill our 80 gallon tank containing a variety of ciclids and a 17" pacu. We lost one of our ciclids after we changed most of the water and cleaned the filters and the tank seemed to be ok, but the fish still aren't eating and a couple of them seem to have a black film on their bottom lips.

Can anyone help me? I'd really hate to lose any more of our babies.

Unfortunately there isn't much you can do to get rid of the effects of poisoning except to give the fish fresh water and hope that their own systems will be able to recover. If you think that there might still be residual Pine-Sol in the water then you might try adding Activated Carbon to your filter (or replace the stuff that's already there with fresh Carbon). Watch for secondary problems like fungus attacks and be ready to treat them, if necessary.

I agree. Soap and detergents just have a tenacity and are hard to remove. Keep doing lots of water changes, hopfully that will reduce any contaminants.

Back
Top Bottom