I really want those blue rams

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tampa

Aquarium Advice Regular
OK, I've been strongly advised by members of this forum, among others, that I can not put 2 blue rams in my 20 gallon high that already has 2 good sized gold rams and a large Angel and a pleco in it.
I wouldn't even think of putting the 2 blue rams in my African tank.
That leaves my other 55 gallon (4 ' long, 19' high, 12'front to back) as a possibility. In the tank currently are 6 small/medium(body size) Angels, 3 swordtails, 3 clown and 2 yoyo loaches 8 red Serpae tetras, 1 small cory, 1 small pleco, 1 syno. There are "clumps" of fake plants and a rock pile with areas that the fish can swim into and use as caves. Can I put 2 blue rams in this 55 g tank? The blue rams are on the small side. I don't remember if they are Blue Bolivian Rams or German Rams
Will the 2 Rams "fit" in this 55 gallon tank?
As always, I do appreciate your input. In your reply, please don't tell me how big the pleco,the yoyos, the clowns etc will get in 10 years. Thanks

I don't remember if they are Blue Bolivian Rams or German Rams
Will the 2 Rams "fit" in this 55 gallon tank?

There's no such thing as a "blue Bolivian". Bolivian rams are a separate species from the blue rams. A pair of either of them would fit into that tank. You could probably get away with 2 pairs in there.

I'll respectfully disagree here. Your 55 sounds quite heavily stocked at the moment and I personally wouldn't chance it.

I had 4 breeding pairs of rams along with 3 juvenile rams, 5 half dollar sized angels, 10 glowlight tetras, 4 danios, and a BN pleco all in a 55g tank at one time. I changed 25% of the water every 2-3 days and everything was fine.

I did miss the clown loaches when reading the first time, so you would have to get rid of those if you wanted rams in that tank. It is definitely doable.

With 6 angels and the clown loaches I would avoid putting the rams in there.

Thanks for your help so far..........
I see where bs6749 and beglely said that the rams and the clown loaches are a "no no". beglely even said that about rams and angels. WHY ?

bs6749, just to clarify this for me. When it comes tro rams that are blue there are only 2 kinds, Bolivian and German. Both have the blue color but they are completely different.

In another post I was told that the blue rams that I was wanting should definitely NOT be put into the 20 gallon with the large angel and the large gold rams.
Since I do not want to get rfid of the clown loaches, do yolu think that I can put the smaller blue rams (whether they are Bolivian or German) in with the larger Angel and the larger gold rams.

Thanks again for you help

Al

It makes a big difference as to whether or not they are German Blue Rams or Bolivian Rams. The GBR are very sensitive to stress of any kind and can die rather easily. I wouldn't put them in this tank. I may do the Bolivian Rams though, they are much more hardy than the GBR.

I see where bs6749 and beglely said that the rams and the clown loaches are a "no no". beglely even said that about rams and angels. WHY ?

bs6749, just to clarify this for me. When it comes tro rams that are blue there are only 2 kinds, Bolivian and German. Both have the blue color but they are completely different.

In another post I was told that the blue rams that I was wanting should definitely NOT be put into the 20 gallon with the large angel and the large gold rams.
Since I do not want to get rfid of the clown loaches, do yolu think that I can put the smaller blue rams (whether they are Bolivian or German) in with the larger Angel and the larger gold rams.

Thanks again for you help

Al

Rams and clown loaches and angelfish will all get along fine, but you have an overstocked tank with the clown loaches in there. If you get rid of the clown loaches that will free up some bottom space and rams are bottom to mid level swimmers.

Rams are territorial and that's why you couldn't put 2 pairs in a 20H tank, even if they were the only 4 fish in there. If it were a 20L you could easily do 2 pairs of rams.

There are two known species of rams. The first is Microgeophagus altispinosa, which is commonly known as the Bolivian ram or crown ruby ram. The other species of ram is Microgeophagus ramirezi and is commonly called a "blue ram". The term "ram" refers to the blue ram 95% of the time when it comes up in conversation. Other common names for the blue ram include: German blue ram, GBR, ram cichlid, Ramirez's cichlid, butterfly ram, among others. Most commonly the blue ram is referred to as a GBR, which is short for German blue ram. This term is misleading however since many of the blue rams seen in the trade come from Asia and are hormone ridden and inferior specimens which expire several months after you take them home. There IS a German strain of the ram, which is descended from the line bred in Germany from wild stock captured in the Orinoco River basin many decades ago. In fact, there are MANY strains of the blue ram that make it one of the most popular fish in this hobby.

Some of the available blue ram varieties include: wilds, Asian bred rams (stay away from these), GBR's (German blue rams), gold rams, balloon rams (stay away from these too), long finned blue rams, long finned gold rams, electric blue rams, and soon to come will be long finned electric blue rams once someone crosses them out. The Bolivian ram only comes in one variety.

Either way Boilvians or blue rams will be too much for your setup until you get rid of the clown loaches.

It makes a big difference as to whether or not they are German Blue Rams or Bolivian Rams. The GBR are very sensitive to stress of any kind and can die rather easily. I wouldn't put them in this tank. I may do the Bolivian Rams though, they are much more hardy than the GBR.

It makes no difference at all as they will defend the same amount of area. Blue rams aren't any more very sensitive than Bolivians. Both require the same routine water changes to stay healthy. Blue rams have been given a bad name because of the Asian breeders that pump them full of hormones for quicker coloration and growth and that is the real reason why they die. Hobbyists then suspect poor water conditions as the cause of demise, which is generally not the case. Bolivians aren't mass produced like the blue rams are as there isn't much of a demand for them so there is no need to expose Bolivans to hormones, making it seem like they are hardier than the blues.

The only reason I advised against it with the clown loaches was because of how big they get. As far as the angels and rams go, both can be territorial, and angels can get aggressive when breeding and eating. With 6 in there you are likely to produce a breeding pair or two and with a lot of fighting for territory--as the rams will try to mark out their territory as well--you could see a lot of problems arise, especially since rams stress easy sometimes. You already have a lack of space and adding more fish that might/will fight for that space just seems like a bad combination IMO. Besides my striped raphael cat, I plan on letting my future rams be the biggest fish in the tank.

Many ram owners would tell you to worry about the angels and not the rams when it comes time to spawning. My rams would even chase away 4.5" round discus and 4" long BN plecos. They learn to go for the eyes. Rams can hold their own with no problem.

Good to know bs6749. Only working with textbook knowledge myself. Hopefully that will change in a few weeks!

Back
Top Bottom