I saw a fish but forgot the name - it looks like a crocodile

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bubble_B0y

Aquarium Advice Addict
can someone please help me.
I saw a fish at the pet store.
It was in a tank full of oddballs.

It looked like a crocodile/alligator.
It has a snout that is very rectangle shape and its very flat.
kinda like this
Colallig.gif

anyone know what fish I'm talking about
they were selling it for $1000
and they also had a clown knife for $500 !!

[/img]

Gar's do get huge! I am amazed by the price tag! Unfortunately our lfs routinely sells different types of gars. Of course they are tiny when they are at the lfs, but none have sold for over 80.00 yet. What kind of gar is it at your lfs?

Zagz said:
Gar's do get huge! I am amazed by the price tag! Unfortunately our lfs routinely sells different types of gars. Of course they are tiny when they are at the lfs, but none have sold for over 80.00 yet. What kind of gar is it at your lfs?

i'm not sure what gar it is :(
do u have any pictures of the different species ???
If you do, I can identify it.

about the price tag.
I'm not sure if it was an adult, but the gar fish was about 8-10inches long.

and the clown knife was about the same size too.

but they looked pretty bored in the tank. Neither the clown or the gar was swimming, just resting on the bottom.

Here is one page listing some types. I've never seen a gar that large at the lfs, about 6" is the max. And they were still asking $80.00. It was at the lfs for a long time, but eventually someone did buy it. Don't know if that was a good thing or not, hopefully they had a big tank. The lfs had it in a 45 gal.

Maximum wild size listed usually smaller in home aquaria
figure 30-36'' for either species then add 1-2 feet extra width for the tank due to the scalation gars have a very wide turning radius so your looking at a 48inch wide tank minimum
Lepisosteus oculatus- spotted gar 4'
Lepisosteus platyrhincus- florida gar 4'

Size depends on which type you get, the smallest being the shortnose gar which gets about 22 inches, the largest is the alligator gar which in the wild it's maximum length is a little over 10 feet. They don't really know how big an alligator gar gets but thats the biggest size caught yet.

Attachments

• alligatorgar.jpg
    alligatorgar.jpg
    10.7 KB · Views: 210
I believe there is also such a thing as an "Alligator Gar", native to the Everglades?

**EDIT** I didn't realize that page 2 was swamped with Alligator Gar info... haha!

Oh and lets not orget the ever popular crossbreeds
Lepisosteus platostomus x Atractosteus spatula- Crocodile gar type I
Lepisosteus platyrhincus or oculatus x Atractosteus spatula-Crocidile gar type 2

Back
Top Bottom