I still have diatoms. They don't go away.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AaronW

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Lol anyone have some advice for me. I've started a thread like this before. They aren't really bad. But streaks are still showing up on the glass. I have low light so I'm not sure how they keep coming back. I heard something about how they feed on silicates? But I'm not sure

Lol anyone have some advice for me. I've started a thread like this before. They aren't really bad. But streaks are still showing up on the glass. I have low light so I'm not sure how they keep coming back. I heard something about how they feed on silicates? But I'm not sure

Yes, they feed on silicates. They are frustrating. Almost every new tank gets them. Low light does not stop them though in my experience high light will speed them up. Eventually they should run their course and disappear. In the meantime keep cleaning.

If you have proper tank mates and can care for them, otos will clean up diatom algae. Otos need a planted tank, algae and/or veggies like zucchini or spinich.

Agh! I know! They're pesky as hell. Anyhow I have a Pictus catfish I think he'd eat the otos. I would need bigger otos. Any other animals that would take care of them? I would like a
Large team of snails.

You could try either aqua bid or live aquaria. Both should have a fair number of them and shipping shouldn't be too bad for snails.

Mebbid said:
You could try either aqua bid or live aquaria. Both should have a fair number of them and shipping shouldn't be too bad for snails.

I'll check it out. I thought Nerites were saltwater.

They can live in all of the types of tanks but can only successfully breed in brackish or saltwater tanks.

Hello Aaron...

Algae isn't a bad thing. It's a sign of a healthy tank. Not much help though, right? I'd scrape it from the front of the tank, so you can see inside, but leave it on the other sides. Algae lives on nutrients, so you must have more than are being eaten by everything else in the tank. So, large, frequent water changes are needed. Change half the water every week or so to remove added nutrients.

I got some Ramshorn snails from the pet store, when I had algae problems. These little guys work wonders and they don't bother healthy plants. Time, the water changes and the snails should help.

Just some easy things that worked for me.

B

Thanks! But I need to go look and find some snails. The tank is absolutely healthy. But somewhat unsightly due to the diatoms. They're pretty pesky

I've heard them called a lot of things, but I think I like "pesky" best.

Back
Top Bottom