I SUCK! (I'm whining and complaining here)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I always turn off my filters until I have refilled the tanks. The force of the water will mix the dechlor into the tank. Then I wait a few minutes and turn the filters back on. I use HOBs on some tanks and canisters on the others. As long as the filter media stays wet, which it does, it only takes me a few minutes to do a tank, ( I have 12 working tanks right now, I'm not gonna spend more time than needed* lol* )there shouldn't be problems.

I always turn off my filters until I have refilled the tanks. The force of the water will mix the dechlor into the tank. Then I wait a few minutes and turn the filters back on. I use HOBs on some tanks and canisters on the others. As long as the filter media stays wet, which it does, it only takes me a few minutes to do a tank, ( I have 12 working tanks right now, I'm not gonna spend more time than needed* lol* )there shouldn't be problems.

Wow, sounds fun. Since my filter is internal, I'm wondering if the chlorine was getting to the bacteria in it before the dechlor was getting to the chlorine. I'm hoping once my cycle is fully established it won't be an issue, but now I'm afraid to try because getting this thing recycled has been a royal pain. :p

Since you have fish in the tank already, and I will assume you don't have a another cycled tank to put them in until the tank is done cycling, I'll make a suggestion. Get a bottle of Seachem Stability and follow the directions to a "T". It is made for new tanks with fish already in them. You will still have to check your water parameters and do water changes. The bottle doesn't say that, but I still suggest it for the safety of the fish. :)

As for an internal filter, I have no experience with those. Can you take out the media? Does it have a biological sponge or anything? If so, take it out, keep it wet in a bucket of tank water, do your changes, let the water circulate for a few minutes so that the dechlor is mixed in then add that part back in.

I use HOBs on some tanks and canisters on the others. 8< SNIP >8 ( I have 12 working tanks right now, I'm not gonna spend more time than needed* lol* )there shouldn't be problems.

What does HOB stand for? Hang on back?

12 tanks! Wow! Do you have your own fish room, or a basement for them all?

Yep, HOB= hang on back, or what I usually would refer to as a power filter. ( Guess I'm old timey, *lol*)

We have a finished basement. Currently there are 7 tanks upstairs and 5 downstairs. Once my fiance finishes making my custom stands, we will be setting up the two 115g tanks.

unsure as to what tank is what from your post

The tank I'm mainly talking about is my 40 gallon tank. I mention my 10 gallons tanks because the cycle seems to be stalled on both of them, meaning I'm getting 0, 0, 0, lower pH readings on them. I might try that product that Jamie recommended.

i would add ammonia up to 4ppm

That's where I've been trying to keep it at, but it often falls much lower than 4 ppm, at times when I'm unavailable to add more ammonia (work, overnight, etc. I'm not getting up in the middle of the night to measure my ammonia levels, lol!). But, for example, my ammonia levels this morning were only 0.25, and that was after dosing the tank last night with 4 ppm/s ammonia.

then i am unsure but could it be a case you went over 4ppm and caused it to stall if thats a possibility i would do 50% water change twice then start adding ammonia back to 4ppm

That did happen, actually, when I first started the cycle. I didn't know how much ammonia to add, so I added way too much and ended up with, like, 8 ppm. That shouldn't be affecting the cycle now, though, as I've done several water changes since. Now, I add very small amounts of ammonia at a time and set my timer for 1 hour. After an hour, I measure the levels. If it's below 4 ppm, then I add a little more ammonia. I repeat this until I get back up to 4 ppm.

i can see from test you have nitrates so its cycling or it was at some stage

When I add ammonia the cycle pretty much kicks in. It's maintaining the levels and the consistency that I'm having a problem with. The cycle isn't stable. It's kind of like a car lurching around a parking lot - stop, go, stop, go, stop, go. Etc.

what level do you let the ammonia drop too before you add more ?

Well, as I mentioned above, I try to not let it fall below 1 ppm, but sometimes it does because I'm not around to monitor it.

We have a finished basement. Currently there are 7 tanks upstairs and 5 downstairs. Once my fiance finishes making my custom stands, we will be setting up the two 115g tanks.

Will that bring you up to fourteen tanks, then? That's amazing! I might be able to fit a 55 gallon tank in my house, but the house is so old that the architecture doesn't allow for long walls to put the tanks against, or decent electrical wiring strong enough to power multiple tanks. We have, seriously, like very few outlets - upstairs we don't even have overhead lights! (I don't live in a cave, fwiw. Our house is just 120 years old and needs a lot of rewiring, etc). I've tripped our breakers three times because of my tanks. Sorry to go off topic there ...

Will that bring you up to fourteen tanks, then? That's amazing! I might be able to fit a 55 gallon tank in my house, but the house is so old that the architecture doesn't allow for long walls to put the tanks against, or decent electrical wiring strong enough to power multiple tanks. We have, seriously, like very few outlets - upstairs we don't even have overhead lights! (I don't live in a cave, fwiw. Our house is just 120 years old and needs a lot of rewiring, etc). I've tripped our breakers three times because of my tanks. Sorry to go off topic there ...

Sounds like my dads house. It's pretty old too, and if you try to use the microwave while he's got the dishwasher going it knocks out power to like half the house. :lol:

Once these new tanks are set up I will be breaking down some of our smaller ones. Right now I have a 10g that is full of red cherry shrimp. They will be going in our 55g once I re-do it as a river tank. Our other 10 will be our QT tank once I move the firemouth fry into a 115 to grow out to sell them. Then that 115 will be an african cichlid tank. All the fish currently in our 55 will be going into the other 115. Then our crayfish will also be moved into the african tank, so I can break down the 5.5 they are in. (yeah I know the tank is too small for them but we had no where else to relocate them) The QT tank we have now is another 5.5 which I will break down and sell.

Luckily if I need extra outlets, my soon to be father in law is an electrician so he said he will install whatever we need. :)

Since you have fish in the tank already, and I will assume you don't have a another cycled tank to put them in until the tank is done cycling, I'll make a suggestion. Get a bottle of Seachem Stability and follow the directions to a "T". It is made for new tanks with fish already in them. You will still have to check your water parameters and do water changes. The bottle doesn't say that, but I still suggest it for the safety of the fish. :)

As for an internal filter, I have no experience with those. Can you take out the media? Does it have a biological sponge or anything? If so, take it out, keep it wet in a bucket of tank water, do your changes, let the water circulate for a few minutes so that the dechlor is mixed in then add that part back in.

Oops, missed this post earlier. I bought some of that stuff (diff brand) and started using it last week. I'm not sure if it jump started my cycle or not, I actually didn't expect it would. I had a talk with my girlfriend about that stuff (she has a degree in microbiology) and she said it is unlikely that the bacteria in there is the same as the normal nitrifying bacteria because it would be unlikely that they'd survive in the bottle. I did some reading up on it and according to what I've read it is a different type of bacteria that is gram positive and can be stored in a dormant state (nitrosomonas and nitrobacter are gram negative and can't be stored in a dormant state). But, I figured it would at least eat up some ammonia and give my fish a little relief.

However, I first put it in last week and my cycle started shortly after. So, perhaps we're wrong and it did jump start it, or perhaps it was because I stopped doing the water changes so much. Who knows.

About my filter. I did actually start taking the whole thing out and sticking it in a 5 gallon bucket of tank water. I'd take the media out, but the part that holds the media on fits so tight that I have to take the whole darn filter out of the tank anyway and I still struggle to get it apart. This thing is so much more of a pain than my HOB filters were, but it's nice because I can keep the entire top of the tank covered and there is virtually no noise from it. You have to stick your ear to the tank to hear a slight buzz, I like that.

But, I gotta keep my tank covered good because I have a couple catfish that like to splash. It's kinda funny, if you go over to the tank and open up the top, a lot of the time they will come up and splash you. They've soaked me quite a few times. :lol:

The tank I'm mainly talking about is my 40 gallon tank. I mention my 10 gallons tanks because the cycle seems to be stalled on both of them, meaning I'm getting 0, 0, 0, lower pH readings on them. I might try that product that Jamie recommended.

That's where I've been trying to keep it at, but it often falls much lower than 4 ppm, at times when I'm unavailable to add more ammonia (work, overnight, etc. I'm not getting up in the middle of the night to measure my ammonia levels, lol!). But, for example, my ammonia levels this morning were only 0.25, and that was after dosing the tank last night with 4 ppm/s ammonia.

right its consuming the ammonia rapidly so dose to 4ppm
then if it is anything like mine was it will need dosing back up to 4ppm within 8hours max
so dose back up to 4ppm before you go work or bed even if its only dropped too 2ppm
then first thing on waking up or getting in from work check again
the fact it is consuming so much so quickly is good
means your well on your way
you really need to keep it up at 4ppm
not being available is not a option during a cycle
the faster it consumes the quicker the nitrites will establish a good colony
before you know it you will be cycled
paitience is needed

Back
Top Bottom