I tested my water-here are the results

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
G

I just did a water change and I dechlorinated the water. I waited about 20 min before doing my test. Here are my results:

nitrate: 0

nitrite: 0

hardness: 300

alkalinity: 300

pH: 8.0

tell me whats good and bad because i am new to tests.

TIA!

why should my nitrates be higher and how can I do this? I do not have a test for ammonia. I have these test strips by Jungle. Who knows if it is actually accurate.

The presence of nitrates and nothing else signals that you've cycled - but if you have 0 nitrites and 0 nitrates - then it would seem nothing is happening... but its hard to tell without an ammonia reading.
The liquid test kits are more expensive initially but you have to remember you can run 700 tests with one kit (at least thats what the box says on the Aquarium Phamaceuticals kit). Not to mention the accuracy of the tests is WAY better. Its worth the extra investment IMO.

But back to your question, without an ammonia reading its hard to say whats going on. Generally an established cycled tank has 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites, and nitrates anywhere from 10-40. Your nitrate should never be 0 in a cycled tank. If your nitrate reading is 0 then either your tank isn't cycled or your test strips are bad.

if a tank is heavily planted or your tap water has 0 nitrAtes and you do regular w/c , it is perfectly normal for the readig to be 0

what's the ammonia reading?

what do you keep in the tank?

KittyKat said:
if a tank is heavily planted or your tap water has 0 nitrAtes and you do regular w/c , it is perfectly normal for the readig to be 0

what's the ammonia reading?

what do you keep in the tank?

Heavily planted.....Yes.

Regular water changes.....No.

In a heavily planted tank you can definately run out of nitrAte (many people on this forum have to dose several times a week), but if not heavily planted there is no other way to have 0 nitrAte.

KittyKat, if your tank has been up and running with fish for over a month I would say your test strips are bad. If you just started the tank up then most likely you have a lot of ammonia and no nitrIte or nitrAte. If this is the case and you have fish in there, you need to either take them back, or get a ammonia test kit ASAP! Ammonia causes burns to the fish and opens them up to many diseases and parasites.

Post back here with your tank info such as tank size, number of fish, do you have live plants, how much do you feed, do you have a friend/family member with a tank that might be able to check your numbers with their kit, etc.

7enigma,

I am hopefully purchasing an ammonia test kit and nitrate, nitrite, and pH one also today.

I have 3 zebra danios cycling my 29 gallon tank.

I have 2 amazon swords, 2 anachris(getting one more today), 2 snall grass squgily things(don't know the name), and 1 banana plant.

I've ran my tank for a month now, 4 weeks with fish. I'll try to get back as soon as possible.

Several problems:

Plants need nitrate. Since you have a 0 reading, the plants will not strive. It's nearly impossible for the fish that you have, combined with the plants that you would have zero nitrates so I would have to agree that something is wrong with the test strips.

The test strips are really bad for the planted tank (or any tank for that matter) but especially for planted since everything we do is based on test results (adding traces, ferts, etc.), so getting the liquid re-agent tests are worth it and will cause less stress over the long haul.

If you go to petsmarts website they have the AP Freshwater Master Test Kit for 13.99. Take it into your local petsmart and they will probably match that price. I know mine did and in store the cost was 27.99 so it is well worth it.

I looked on the Petsmart website and they do have it for $13.99. We are going to a Petsmart in probably EXACTLY a month so I might have to wait until then to get it(not my wish). I might get one before if I can convince some people though. Hopefully they will not be too expensive.

I added TetraFlora to my tank and my plants have actually grown and everything is looking good!

;614479 said:
I have 3 zebra danios cycling my 29 gallon tank.

I have 2 amazon swords, 2 anachris(getting one more today), 2 snall grass squgily things(don't know the name), and 1 banana plant.

I've ran my tank for a month now, 4 weeks with fish. I'll try to get back as soon as possible.
Firstly, if you care anything for the fish, never ever even consider using fish for cycling. Link for more information on cycling: the why and how - worth a read, even if you don't agree.

Have you had the plants in there since you bought the fish? It could be just that you've had an unusually quick cycle because of those. At the moment I am overseeing a friend's cycle where (because he added seeded material in the form of plants) it will be finished tomorrow which will make it only two weeks from start to finish. But as mentioned before, I would still have someone else double check the readings for you just in case there's something wrong with the test kit.

Also, have you done any waterchanges and have you washed out the sponges? If you have washed out the sponges, how did you do it?

Regular water changes.....No.

In a heavily planted tank you can definately run out of nitrAte (many people on this forum have to dose several times a week), but if not heavily planted there is no other way to have 0 nitrAte.
Yes you can: if the tap water nitrates are 0 and you do 30% water change on (for example) 20 gallon with 5 neons in it every other day, you are not going to see any nitrates. Really. Given that *guest* did not inform us at the time of the size of his tank, his tap water nitrates or his levels of stocking (if any at all), we should not have assumed that the tank would have had nitrates in it.

KittyKat, if your tank has been up and running with fish... ...that might be able to check your numbers with their kit, etc.
Have I mentioned my tanks? No. We are not talking about any of my setups here, we are having a discussion about why another member's readings. If you wish to talk to be about my own tanks, feel free to email me directly or add me to MSN, I will be more then happy to talk to you, but there is no need to hijack someone else's thread ;) I am sure you will enjoy hearing the fine details about my 20 odd tanks in your spare time.

Last edited:
Sorry guys, didn't look at the post date! As I don't go on here much just went through my old posts & thought this one was more recent!

Back
Top Bottom