I think genetics have gone wrong with my female betta [pics]

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Puriti

Aquarium Advice Addict
I bought my female betta, Moon, at petsmart probably around the beginning of this year or the end of the last and she was a normal female betta, kind of tiny but she was a crowntail which is rare to find at Petsmart no less. Well... now...Moon has grown with a tumor like mass on her stomach near her egg spot between her anal fins. As I know there's nothing I can do about it, I still worry about her. She eats perfectly fine, infact when she eats, the mass gets larger and she looks like she's gonna pop, which also worries me. I don't feed them often enough that they're all going to get really fat, however, Moon's body HUGE... not fat..just really big. Most of my females are smaller than the males, well Moon is as large, if not larger than the males and her fins are like a normal females except huge to fit her massive body. If you look down at her from above, her body is wider than a normal bettas like she's packed on a few mm of fat all around her body like she's preparing for winter. She honestly acts like a normal female betta but I think genetics have kind of screwed her over O___o; She's maybe a year/year and a half old I'd say... I dont think putting her down would be fair because she's not suffering but I am worried about her looking like she's going to explode because she just will keep eating and will out swim most of my other fish to get the food....it's like having a fish with an obsession

I don't agree with putting her down. Just enjoy her. I would be worried to, but if there is nothing you can do then do nothing. Just care for her, feed her,keep up water changes and so on. If she starts to show signs of distess and pain, that is when i would consider putting her down. But for now, just a little love will be the best thing IMO.

Is it ONLY a mass? I'm not a betta guy (yet), but could it be dropsy? Do her scales stick out from her body when you look down at her from above? Bloating and raised scales usually mean drospy. Whether it is a tumor or some other ailment: Does her tank have any salt in it? Lightly salting the tank (somewhere in the range of 1tsp/10g to 1tbs/5gal) will make your little friend very happy.

No, no it's not dropsy lol she's just...fat. but I have taken her out to take a look at the squishy mass on her belly, and it's just ....a squishy mass ...I have no idea what exactly it is. I usually do put aquarium salt in it. This is more a thing over time...she was tiny when I first got her .__.

moon2.jpg

This is Moon..

moon3.jpg

Notice in this picture she's almost as big as my adult male molly...

moon4.jpg

You can see her fat head...which is the same width all the way down until you get to her tail but it's not far off

moon5.jpg

The tumor thing...

moon6.jpg

She's BIGGER than my male betta! X.x (Caribbean got in a fight with my other male Jet when I was cleaning and he got knocked out and they got in a scrabble...in case anyone was wondering...he's also got clear finnage at the end x.x)

Back
Top Bottom