I think I messed up - cloudy water... Please help.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
If you are showing any ammonia or nitrites water change should be done. If your nitrates are above 40 I would also recommend doing a water change.
This cycle shouldn't take as long as a new tank cycle because you had some BB in your tank from the first cycle. So you might get thru this rather quickly compared to a start up cycle.

I agree with what Nimo has said. Test your parameters and if they warrant a water change then go ahead and do it. Again like Nimo said this cycle probably won't last as long, just keep monitoring your parameters and be ready for water changes of needed. You'll get through it. I have a feeling the worst is already over. Just maintain now and you'll be outta the woods in no time.

This happened to me like many others during their cycle. Just dont do too much to stir up gravel or change decor or any big water changes. I agree with you. Play the waiting game (that doesnt mean stop testing though!)

Hi everyone, I just wanted to give an update. It was a long process and I followed the above advice. My "off the charts" ammonia finally began to drop and I thought I was in the clear. Unfortunately all of my fish suddenly died in a matter of two days. As a beginner, I feel like a failure but I do want to rebuild. My question now is should I just empty the tank and begin again? New filter media? New substrate? I never really identified the reason for the ammonia.

Thanks again. Everyone has been great!

I wouldn't start over again totally. If you have the ammonia under control then you know you are gonna go thru nitrite then to the nitrates as part of the cycle. Just finish cycling the tank. If you don't have any stock left use some pure ammonia and do a fish less cycle.
I would say the loss of the fish was due to the tank cycling again after you made some changes to it.
No need to start over from square one when you already have done allot of work.

Back
Top Bottom