I think I messed up - cloudy water... Please help.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aquaman1974

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi everyone,

I am new to the hobby and this forum is great… extremely helpful. I am stumped on my current situation. I am running a 29 gallon tank. Here are the details:

3 Mollys, 1 Catfish, 1 Rainbow fish, 1 Guppy, 1 pleco
3 natural plants
Aquaclear 50 filter

The tank has been established for about 2 months and was running clear until I added a few more fish about a month ago. It began to get a little cloudy and my ammonia was .25. At that time I was running a Tetra Whisper filter. My thought was that it could not handle the increased waste. I vacuumed and did a 20% water change. Here’s where I believe I made a mistake. I then switched to a larger Aquaclear and assed the ammonia filter media. Since that time the ammonia levels have lingered and the cloudiness remained. The fish have seemed happy and I have been doing water changes but it has not mattered. Two days ago I woke up and the cloudiness is in full bloom and ammonia levels are still steadily high. I have actually added my Tetra Whisper back (so I have 2 filters going). I have also continued water changes but all I get is clouds. I am extremely frustrated and stumped.

Please help! Thanks everyone.

Aquaman1974 said:
Hi everyone,

I am new to the hobby and this forum is great… extremely helpful. I am stumped on my current situation. I am running a 29 gallon tank. Here are the details:

3 Mollys, 1 Catfish, 1 Rainbow fish, 1 Guppy, 1 pleco
3 natural plants
Aquaclear 50 filter

The tank has been established for about 2 months and was running clear until I added a few more fish about a month ago. It began to get a little cloudy and my ammonia was .25. At that time I was running a Tetra Whisper filter. My thought was that it could not handle the increased waste. I vacuumed and did a 20% water change. Here’s where I believe I made a mistake. I then switched to a larger Aquaclear and assed the ammonia filter media. Since that time the ammonia levels have lingered and the cloudiness remained. The fish have seemed happy and I have been doing water changes but it has not mattered. Two days ago I woke up and the cloudiness is in full bloom and ammonia levels are still steadily high. I have actually added my Tetra Whisper back (so I have 2 filters going). I have also continued water changes but all I get is clouds. I am extremely frustrated and stumped.

Please help! Thanks everyone.

Adding the other filter was smart it will help seed your new one. Also when you wash out your filter you do it in old tank water. Do you treat the water before adding it to the tank? My tank gets cloudy for a few right after a water change too sometimes.

Also running 2 filters isn't a bad thing. I encourage it. If one goes bad at least you a back up.

Also the cloudiness could be a bacterial bloom.

As far as your ammonia levels are concerned. In a cycled tank you really shouldn't be seeing ammonia. Maybe your going through a mini cycle? When you gravel vacuumed maybe you stirred up a lot of debris.

I'd do a few water changes and then re test.

Hope this helps.

Convict2161 said:
Adding the other filter was smart it will help seed your new one. Also when you wash out your filter you do it in old tank water. Do you treat the water before adding it to the tank? My tank gets cloudy for a few right after a water change too sometimes.

Also running 2 filters isn't a bad thing. I encourage it. If one goes bad at least you a back up.

Also the cloudiness could be a bacterial bloom.

As far as your ammonia levels are concerned. In a cycled tank you really shouldn't be seeing ammonia. Maybe your going through a mini cycle? When you gravel vacuumed maybe you stirred up a lot of debris.

I'd do a few water changes and then re test.

Hope this helps.

This is where I think I made a big mistake. First of all, yes the vacuuming raised a lot of debris. My second mistake was that I originally took out the tetra filter when I installed the aquaclear. Should I have kept the tetra running? My fear is that I began a new cycle. Is that possible? I only put back the tetra once the cloudiness became a milky cloud.

Aquaman1974 said:
This is where I think I made a big mistake. First of all, yes the vacuuming raised a lot of debris. My second mistake was that I originally took out the tetra filter when I installed the aquaclear. Should I have kept the tetra running? My fear is that I began a new cycle. Is that possible? I only put back the tetra once the cloudiness became a milky cloud.

I don't think you started a NEW cycle but maybe a mini cycle. Adding back the old filter will help out a lot. Just keep an eye on parameters and do your water changes accordingly and you'll be just fine :)

I wouldn't worry too much. If the fish look happy and are eating and don't have clamped fins or look sluggish just take it day by day, you'll pull through. You seem to know what your doing.

Convict2161 said:
I don't think you started a NEW cycle but maybe a mini cycle. Adding back the old filter will help out a lot. Just keep an eye on parameters and do your water changes accordingly and you'll be just fine :)

I wouldn't worry too much. If the fish look happy and are eating and don't have clamped fins or look sluggish just take it day by day, you'll pull through. You seem to know what your doing.

Ok. I was feeling good after reading responses. The ammonia level has gone up to a whopping 4.0. I have been doing water changes. How is this possible? I have been using the API master test kit. Could it be wrong? I am not sure how my fish are surviving. What do I do now?

Have you tested you tap water? Could be the test kit also. Do another water change to get the levels down. I'd get yourself just a new ammonia test kit and test your tap.

I think it may be an error. It wouldn't have jumped that fast IMO.

plus your running the old filter now.

One other question. When you took the old filter off how long was it out of water? If it was a long time it could have killed of the beneficial bacteria.

Start with a water change though to get levels down. What are you using to treat the water before adding new water to tank? I like Prime.

Convict2161 said:
Have you tested you tap water? Could be the test kit also. Do another water change to get the levels down. I'd get yourself just a new ammonia test kit and test your tap.

I think it may be an error. It wouldn't have jumped that fast IMO.

plus your running the old filter now.

One other question. When you took the old filter off how long was it out of water? If it was a long time it could have killed of the beneficial bacteria.

Start with a water change though to get levels down. What are you using to treat the water before adding new water to tank? I like Prime.

I've actually been changing with bottled water to ensure its not my tap. To treat, I have added smart start. Perhaps prime is better?

I will be heading out to get a new ammonia test this morning. Thanks for all your help!

Aquaman1974 said:
I've actually been changing with bottled water to ensure its not my tap. To treat, I have added smart start. Perhaps prime is better?

I will be heading out to get a new ammonia test this morning. Thanks for all your help!

Smart start? It has Amquel plus right? Is it that 2 bottle kit? The Amquel plus should do the trick however I just felt Prime to be top notch. Now these products don't remove ammonia they just convert it to less toxic form.

EDIT;

Did we talk stock? I'm sorry I'm at work and trying to help. Your not overstocked right or over feeding. Just trying to brain storm. How old is the test kit? If its jumping like that it very well may be the kit. I've had plenty of bunk kits.

Convict2161 said:
Smart start? It has Amquel plus right? Is it that 2 bottle kit? The Amquel plus should do the trick however I just felt Prime to be top notch. Now these products don't remove ammonia they just convert it to less toxic form.

EDIT;

Did we talk stock? I'm sorry I'm at work and trying to help. Your not overstocked right or over feeding. Just trying to brain storm. How old is the test kit? If its jumping like that it very well may be the kit. I've had plenty of bunk kits.

I have 7 fish (I listed above). I am do not over feed as I try to stick w less is more. My test kit is only a few months old. Do you think my filtration is adequate? I'm brainstorming to but do you think a canister like the fluval 06 would help or solve??

You're getting great advice.

I just wanted to add, once you're cycled and the tank is more established, you'll need to get more rainbowfish. They are a schooling fish that requires a group. I would recommend 6.

What species of pleco do you have?

LyndaB said:
You're getting great advice.

I just wanted to add, once you're cycled and the tank is more established, you'll need to get more rainbowfish. They are a schooling fish that requires a group. I would recommend 6.

What species of pleco do you have?

I have a bristlenose but now I'm reading it may outgrow my tank. Looks like I'll be crossing that bridge next!

I think a single BN would be fine in your tank. I have 4 of them in various tanks.

Aquaman1974 said:
I have 7 fish (I listed above). I am do not over feed as I try to stick w less is more. My test kit is only a few months old. Do you think my filtration is adequate? I'm brainstorming to but do you think a canister like the fluval 06 would help or solve??

Well you can never have too much filtration as long as the fish can handle the current. A canister is a great filter IMO I run a fluval fx5 and a AC110 on my 75 gallon. Your running 2 filters now that should be fine. I wouldn't jump the gun to a canister unless your looking to upgrade anyway and not simply because of this issue at hand.

As far as the kit goes. I've had brand new test kits go bad. You can call the company and they will test the kit of its bunk they will mail you one free. You have to pay for shipping the kit to them though. I'd try another kit first since we now know its not your tap.

You could have started a mini cycle like stated before by stirring up all the debris. Just test test test (with a new ammonia kit) and keep doing your water changes. The old filter will aid in the process.

Also that smart start does it have the Amquel plus? You need a water conditioner to remove chlorine and other elements from water. Even though you use bottled water you may want some for when you switch to tap.

Just another thought.

after reading this thread i have a quick question. i just picked up the API FW master kit..

my pH reads 7.6-7.8 but just for giggles i did a high range pH test even though i didnt really need too and the high range pH test show a pH less than 7.4(7.4 being the lowest mark on the high range test)

is there a huge difference in chemical make up of the two pH tests or am i imagining things and jumping to conclusions by running the high range pH?

sorry, i'm not trying to hijack a thread :)

If the old filter was out of the tank for over a few hours the bacteria would be dead so you probably just have whatever was left in the substrate or on decor, nearly back to square one on the cycling stage. I would treat as if your where just starting the tank up, test regularly, water changes etc.

I would say that your going through another cycle. How much water are you changing? U woukd suggest a good 50% with a deep vacuume

Ok, so I vacuumed the gravel and did another 20% water change, retested for ammonia with a new kit... The test is through the roof! It is blue! I do not know what to do... Any suggestions? Any advice is appreciated.

Aquaman1974 said:
Ok, so I vacuumed the gravel and did another 20% water change, retested for ammonia with a new kit... The test is through the roof! It is blue! I do not know what to do... Any suggestions? Any advice is appreciated.

Ok this is what I'm thinking, for right now stop with the gravel vacs. Your stirring a lot of debris which is causing these huge spikes. Do 50% water changes until you get your ammonia to 0ppm.

Keep at that for a day or two.

Day three start a light gravel vac, nothing crazy try not to dig right in rather skim the top layer of gravel. Maybe feed every other day for now, it appears you might be in full cycle mode again so you need to be careful. Water changes and test often 2-3x's a day and you may even need to do back to back water changes. It's not gonna hurt anything if you have to.

Just temp match the water before putting it in the tank. Treat the tank with Prime or AmquelPlus or some kind of water conditioner. You haven't mentioned what your using to treat the water. Smart start you said right? Isn't that something that's suppose to speed up the cycle? You need a good dechloronator many swear by Prime.

Dose the tank prior to adding fresh water.

That's really it. Just test test and test and water changes over and over and over again.

The only other thing I know of that a lot of people use is seeded media from an online source. I'll try and find the site.

I agree with convict, it looks as if your are doing another full cycle. For future knowledge if you change filters or up grade filters all ways all ways place your old used media in the new filter along with the new filter media. And never clean your filter at the same time you do a deep gravel/substrate cleaning, it takes away too much BB all at once.
Even tho you are using bottled water you should still be using a good water conditioner. Convict is right in my opinion Prime is the best out there, right now you have ammonia prime detoxifies it and when you go into the nitrite part of the cycle Prime detoxifies it. It also detoxifies copper that can be in bottled water depending on what kind you are using, along with providing slime coat for your fish. The one bottle of Prime replaces several and it doesn't take much of it to treat your tank.
The cloudy water is most likely bacterial bloom that will clear with maturity of the new cycle and water changes.
Using both filters is a good thing I highly believe in over filtration, not to get out of water changes but it does keep your tank much cleaner and clearer water( after you get thru the bacterial bloom).
You should not add any fish to your stock until this cycle is over.
Don't do any heavy gravel vacs just do spot vacs or as convict stated a light surface cleaning but not with every water change until you get cycled, don't change your filter media if it gets funky just rinse it lightly in used tank water during a water change.

So I got up this morning ready for a 50% water change. Suddenly the tank is much clearer. I'm going to be testing momentarily but my question is if the ammonia is subsiding along with the cloudiness should I bother with a water change or play the waiting game?

Also, I did purchase and use Prime with yesterday's water change. Thank you so much for taking the time to help me!

Back
Top Bottom