I think I stole a fish..lol

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Here is an interesting update I got a call from my nephew a few weeks ago (before my Father in law had his stroke, he's doing great btw) to come help him set up his new fish tank he got, I go and find he has bought a really nice 30 gallon set up and a small Blood Red Parrot. While I am explaining to him the best I can about how he should really cycle the tank with out the fish in it this poor fish is just staring at me from his little bag. I convince him to let me keep his fish while his tank cycles so I bring him home and put him in the big tank and he goes to the corner and hides and stays in the corner for a week. The next week there are just a bunch of short visits to the house but each time the little BRP is still in the corner, one night I take pity on him afraid he is going to starve to death and put him in the 10 gallon with Felony (and the 5 corries) I watch for a few minutes to see if there will be any violence (none) feed them, he eats which is a big relief and head back to the hospital telling myself it will be fine a couple of days won't hurt and he will get to eat. Now my days are some what back to normal and Felony has a new best friend. I have been testing my water every day and haven't had any changes. I'm gonna feel bad when Felony's friend has to go home, if my tank was bigger I would be tempted to keep him.

IMO walmart should not sell fish. I think their fish keeping practice is cruel. I think someone should step in and forbid them for selling fish.

Good save though, I am routing for the betta!

I agree completely. Every time I go to Walmart there is always dead fish in at least two or three of the tanks. Plus they really have no idea what they are talking about lol. The clerk when I went in there the other day told me sand is only used in saltwater aquariums. I just said, "uh-huh". wasn't going to argue lol. Plus all the fish I bought from Walmart before ended up dying, except for my Albino Koi (IDK if that's what he really is but hes white and orange) and he had ich when I got him. The pleco I got from there had one eye after a day and then died like the rest of them.
So... I don't buy fish from walmart. But since I am going to have a QT I might just go try and buy a fish for 1$! Maybe I can save a couple

surprisingly, of the 15 fish I got from walmart, only one died... The rest are all growing like crazy though! My tiger barbs were probably less than a cm long when i got them and now half of them are 2 inches! The sharks are slowly growing, but eventually I will take them back to a LFS. I was going to get a larger thank, but ended up getting one smaller than what I wanted, but it is still plenty big!

I really wanted to get some tiger barbs for one of my tanks, but I don't know anymore. Right now I am planning on some panda cories; what kind of cories do you have mel? And I am glad to hear that Felony has a new friend. Sad to hear his/her friend has to go though. Also glad to hear your stepdad is doing better. I just read the rest of this thread so now I can post a little more accurately lol

p.s. the name felony is beautilful, it just kind of flows :)

I really wanted to get some tiger barbs for one of my tanks, but I don't know anymore. Right now I am planning on some panda cories; what kind of cories do you have mel? And I am glad to hear that Felony has a new friend. Sad to hear his/her friend has to go though. Also glad to hear your stepdad is doing better. I just read the rest of this thread so now I can post a little more accurately lol

p.s. the name felony is beautilful, it just kind of flows :)

They're peppered cories I think, my go to lfs guy is an older Korean gentleman with a thick Korean/southern accent so I try to limit my questions I ask to yes or no and the tank said assorted cories...lol.

Wanted to throw in my thanks for saving Felony - perfect name for a beautiful fish!!! I've stopped shopping at the WM closest to me as their tanks are always horrible. Several of the tanks had nothing but wretched fish, gasping and barely moving, and I briefly considered what would happen to me if I euthanized them there in the store:(. Seeing not just goldfish but oscars and puffers suffer like that is upsetting.

I love how we all know its walmart and you didn't even have to say it. I went to a new pet store that opened up the other just to check it out... cruising by the live fish I checked out the oscars. (3) 10 gallon tanks full of young oscars... maybe 10 or 12 each... all with HITH. It just discusts me. They have the stuff to fix that right there not 2 isles over... and they just leave 'em!

I helped the PetSmart guy scoop out dead fish and take a bunch of oscars back to be treated for ich. :) He was complaining about the company keeping so many oscars in one display tank, so he is my new favorite PetSmart person.

You do wonder, with all fish stockists, just how many fish die every day. I'd imagine in most places it's quite a few, they just get picked out when they open up every morning.

Back
Top Bottom