I think I'm cycled?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NekoOo

Aquarium Advice Activist
So I started out doing a fishless cycle which lasted for about a month (with little results due to not realizing I was using the test kit wrong), before starting a fish-in cycle with 9 rasboras about 6 days ago. I have tested everyday since adding the fish, the results are always consistent.
They are:
Ammonia: 0
Ph: 8.0 (was at 8.2 but driftwood has lowered it)
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 10-20

I have done about 30% water changes every three days and things just seem to be doing really well and I guess I was expecting my parameters to be less stable? I have had zero traces of ammonia and nitrite, and I know I am now using the test kit right. Things are just going so well I expect it to crash and burn just to catch me off guard.

I would love to add a few more fish soon, but I'm not entirely sure I'm fully cycled yet and I would hate to ruin a good thing by jumping the gun and getting more fish when the cycle isn't complete. Any thoughts?

0 ammonia and 0 nitrite mean you are cycled. Monitor levels for the next week to make sure then you can add a few new fish.

Congratulations.

Jon

jondamon said:
0 ammonia and 0 nitrite mean you are cycled. Monitor levels for the next week to make sure then you can add a few new fish.

Congratulations.

Jon

THANK YOU! I'm so happy to know I'm probably cycled! I will keep a close eye on parameters and if everything remains stable over the next few days, I'll slowly increase my stock. My lfs just got a huge bulk shipment of angelfish from aquabid and they have quarter sized koi colored angels that I have been eyeing online for months! It must be fate! :D

Fish In Tank Cycling

So I started out doing a fishless cycle which lasted for about a month (with little results due to not realizing I was using the test kit wrong), before starting a fish-in cycle with 9 rasboras about 6 days ago. I have tested everyday since adding the fish, the results are always consistent.
They are:
Ammonia: 0
Ph: 8.0 (was at 8.2 but driftwood has lowered it)
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 10-20

I have done about 30% water changes every three days and things just seem to be doing really well and I guess I was expecting my parameters to be less stable? I have had zero traces of ammonia and nitrite, and I know I am now using the test kit right. Things are just going so well I expect it to crash and burn just to catch me off guard.

I would love to add a few more fish soon, but I'm not entirely sure I'm fully cycled yet and I would hate to ruin a good thing by jumping the gun and getting more fish when the cycle isn't complete. Any thoughts?

Hello N...

The standard procedure for fish in cycling is: When several of your water tests show "0" ammonia and nitrites, then you add a few more small fish and resume testing the water every day for traces of the above toxins. Your microscopic waste eating bugs may have grown to the level where they're now able to handle the amount of waste your fish produce. So, it's time to grow more bugs.

I would add a few, say 4 or 5 small fish and keep testing the water daily. If you monitor the water carefully and change a minimum of 25 percent of the water when you get a positive test for either ammonia or nitrites, then your fish will be fine. Just keep following the above steps until the tank is fully stocked.

Just a suggestion.

B

BBradbury said:
Hello N...

The standard procedure for fish in cycling is: When several of your water tests show "0" ammonia and nitrites, then you add a few more small fish and resume testing the water every day for traces of the above toxins. Your microscopic waste eating bugs may have grown to the level where they're now able to handle the amount of waste your fish produce. So, it's time to grow more bugs.

I would add a few, say 4 or 5 small fish and keep testing the water daily. If you monitor the water carefully and change a minimum of 25 percent of the water when you get a positive test for either ammonia or nitrites, then your fish will be fine. Just keep following the above steps until the tank is fully stocked.

Just a suggestion.

B

Thanks for the suggestion. You read my mind. I figured the best/safest way is to slowly increase the stock and check to see if I need to build up the bb before stocking more. So tomorrow or maybe even later today we might get a few more small fish to add and continue to test for toxins.

UPDATE: after checking the water parameters one last time, we went to the lfs to pick out some fish. I picked out 2 quarter sized koi angelfish and commented on how pretty the Australian rainbow fish were, and the lfs guy gave me two for free! All 4 fish are tiny so I don't think I'm overloading the bb but I'll keep a close eye and test often. Here are the new guys! Acclimate them for a little over an hour and slowly replaced the lfs water with my aquarium water. They're in my tank now and WOW, adding them seemed to make the rasboras happy because instead of hiding all day like they have been, they now swim all over the tank and the rainbow fish like to join them. Everybody is so active now, I love it! I can now look at my tank from across the room and see all my fish swimming about instead of staring at a seemingly empty tank.

Attachments

• image-42137588.jpg
    image-42137588.jpg
    209.5 KB · Views: 66
  • image-1522962941.jpg
    image-1522962941.jpg
    170 KB · Views: 54
  • image-2165754167.jpg
    image-2165754167.jpg
    172.7 KB · Views: 61
  • image-719083838.jpg
    image-719083838.jpg
    183.1 KB · Views: 64
Thank you! I should post a full tank shot. I've never had angels before but I'm falling for them pretty fast. Originally I only wanted 2 angels and 2 rams, but I might just add another 2

Full tank shot :3

EDIT: Sorry it's a bad picture. I will try and find a better one.

Attachments

• image-2370986292.jpg
    image-2370986292.jpg
    136.6 KB · Views: 63
Just took this shot...

Attachments

• image-3112601117.jpg
    image-3112601117.jpg
    138 KB · Views: 54
Awesome!

Since Rainbows are schooling, I recommend getting about 3 more after you make sure your parameters are good. It's great that you got some freebies, though, since Rainbows are usually about $8-$15.

I'm so glad to know everything worked out for you! Unless I have you confused with someone else... Didn't your dad come home with the 6 fish you had before the angels? I remember you werent all that happy he did that! Your angels are gorgeous, good luck with them!

bud29 said:
Awesome!

Since Rainbows are schooling, I recommend getting about 3 more after you make sure your parameters are good. It's great that you got some freebies, though, since Rainbows are usually about $8-$15.

I love my lfs because they're predominantly a fish store with a good amount of reptiles and very little "fluffy" pets like birds and rodents. It's family owned and the main owner works every single day and is in the fish hobby as well. I give him good business every time I go in there and I think he appreciates the fact that I know a good amount about fish too instead of having to deal with the usual crowd who know next to nothing about how to keep fish.

Would different species of rainbows school? My original stock list consist of 4 boesmani rainbows but the aussie's were pretty and free so I jumped on the opportunity. ^^ also, I would really only want to add two more at most. They hang out with the rasboras who apparently get pretty big too. Would 4 be okay?

Mrs.h2012 said:
I'm so glad to know everything worked out for you! Unless I have you confused with someone else... Didn't your dad come home with the 6 fish you had before the angels? I remember you werent all that happy he did that! Your angels are gorgeous, good luck with them!

Yes that's me :D he came home with 9 rasboras. I was really mad, (my dad and I have clashed so many times over this tank it's ridiculous. He calls me a nazi) lol but when my readings showed such consistent results I was shocked (and relieved). If I hadn't read to shake the nitrate bottle super hard I might have gone on for months not knowing I was cycled. I am so glad things have worked out as well and I hope you get the same results very soon!

Would different species of rainbows school? My original stock list consist of 4 boesmani rainbows but the aussie's were pretty and free so I jumped on the opportunity. ^^ also, I would really only want to add two more at most. They hang out with the rasboras who apparently get pretty big too. Would 4 be okay?
I wouldn't go with any less than 4. More would be better, but the Australians do get pretty big. The Australians will not school with Bosemani.

Back
Top Bottom