I think my Betta is acting weird

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

goldfish98

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I got him on saturday, and at first he was nice and calm. Yesterday, I noticed him on the bottom on his side, but he started swimming again. He also seems to be nervous, as he is swimming around the tank quickly.

He has a heater, the water is around 80 F. PH 5, nitrite .5, nitrate 5, ammonia 0

Water changes until your nitrites are zero

Sent from my EVO using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Bettas are incredibly hardy fish. I'm not sure that the water parameters are the cause. Mine do lay on things from time to time. I had a bridge and mine would lay on it often. But it wasn't on its side...

+1... That's a little low IMO

pH and Hardness: Bettas are soft water fish, and prefer a pH of neutral (7.0) or slightly acidic. They can adapt to a higher pH, as long as it is stable. It is inadvisable to use chemicals to alter the pH, which can cause dangerous fluctuations. A high pH or hard water will cause fins to curl, particularly in crowntails, which are particularly sensitive to inappropriate water parameters. Indian almond leaf (IAL) or blackwater extract (BWE) can help lower the pH naturally.

I have my betta girls in blackwater and they love it :) My male betta (who is all fins) often rests on plant leaves, his landing pad, or on the gravel. When I walk up to the tank he usually gets up and swims around. The one time I saw him REALLY laying on his side on the bottom, was when a snail had died and I had a Nitrite spike like crazy. Removed the snail, did a big WC immediatly and then he was fine. I know that's a very indirect answer to your question, but I thought it might help.

pH and Hardness: Bettas are soft water fish, and prefer a pH of neutral (7.0) or slightly acidic. They can adapt to a higher pH, as long as it is stable. It is inadvisable to use chemicals to alter the pH, which can cause dangerous fluctuations. A high pH or hard water will cause fins to curl, particularly in crowntails, which are particularly sensitive to inappropriate water parameters. Indian almond leaf (IAL) or blackwater extract (BWE) can help lower the pH naturally.

I was agreeing with the statement I was quoting.. I think I have heard of substrate that safely raises ph for cichlid.. Maybe that could help.. ?

Thank you guys, I have already been doing partial water changes every day.

Mine had been doing that to. I think the bettas get exhausted swimming with the big tails. Mine wouldn't stop chasing his reflection. Maybe hes seen his reflection in the tank sonewhere?

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom