I thought it was just a cynical exageration....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

patryuji

Aquarium Advice FINatic
When people here had told stories of people buying Oscars for 5 gallon tanks at the "chain" pet supply stores. Just yesterday I was trying to see if they had accidentally put more sun loaches in with the skunks again (they don't normally sell the sun loaches and probably wouldn't know that they were any different) when someone was there buying a 4" Oscar. They then asked what temperature their (the stores) water was...because they did not have a heater for the 5 gallon tank they were going to shove it into. A 5 gallon uncycled tank...atleast the person they were talking to told them they couldn't put it into that small of a tank and they need to buy a heater.

*simply shudders*

And dont you dare make a peep to the contrary.... :lol:
Thosoe employees with the I've been here too long so I AM the expert marks on their badges HATE busybodies.....!

Thats awful. Glad the person made the mistake of disclosing the size of tank they was going to put the oscar in.

That would be like me asking you to spend the rest of your life in a 8'X5'x7' room.

fishfreek said:
Thats awful. Glad the person made the mistake of disclosing the size of tank they was going to put the oscar in.

That would be like me asking you to spend the rest of your life in a 8'X5'x7' room.
....yes, and may I add without windows and without running water - except for a chronically backed up toilet!

I almost think it is inhumane for fish to be sold at these chain stores. They tend to get cared for so porely at the store and then taken home by someone who has not a clue.

I stopped by my local PetCo today to pick up some frozen bloodworms and, as always, wandered around looking at the fish. I spotted a couple of Ropefish in a tank with a number of medium-sized puffers. I watched as one of the puffers ripped a piece of the Ropefish's gill cover completely off its body. Neither of the Ropefish had a tail or ventral fins left! I immediately called this to the attention of the salesperson who, thankfully, immediately moved the two Ropefish into the adjacent aquarium. Unfortunately it looked to me like it was too late for the Ropefish who lost a gill cover. :(

I spent Monday driving around with a friend of mine to about 20 fish/pet stores looking for browsing, comparing prices, etc (He's starting to set up a dwarf cichlid tank). I went to at least 10 places that I had never been to before. Mot of them tiny mom & pop stores.
One had the most knowledgeable salespeople I've even seen at a store. Actually being honest with customers ready to shell out big bucks for fish though he hadn't cycled the tank and didn't have the right set up for the cichlids he was looking at. The clerk asked him how old the tank was, whether it had been cycled, and then explained the whole process to the guy and ended up selling him 3 zebra danios to cycle the tank with. How refreshing.
Then I go to the next store on the list. A mom & pop ALL-Fish store. Every single tank in the store was diseased, every one of them had yellowish-brown water (no driftwood or peat, just waste), every tank overrun with hair algae. These tanks had obviously been left in these horrible conditons for quite some time. Literally, for every sick (and they were all sick) fish swimming in the tanks, there were 2 dead ones rolling around the bottom of stuck to the filter intake. I was shocked. I started asking questions and the guy I was talking to turned out to be the owner. When I asked him why the conditions were so bad and if he was treating the tanks (very politely), he started screaming at me & threw me out of the shop. Now how can a place like that stay in business?

It does make you wonder how a place like that can stay in business, and why anyone at all would buy a fish from a tank that looked like that, let alone a whole store like that.

Thats why I was so shocked. I wondered how they sold anything. It was in the Oceanside/Long Beach area. I can't remember exactly where though. It was down a side street of long beach road.

Back
Top Bottom