I, um, have a hydra problem...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mosaic

Aquarium Advice FINatic
hydra.jpg

*sigh* I hate these boogers.

Look at the bright side, it means you have perfect water conditions. Hydras wont tolerate any ammonia or nitrites. They will only harm the smallest of fry.

Moved to general discussion. We have several members who have dealt with this.

Urgh, they irritate me too. I have them in my river conditions tank where the fish are quite small so I've been a bit concerned. So far no deaths/problems though.
Mosaic, have you tried anything to get rid of them before? I know mollies will eat them (I tried that one once, but now my mollies are sickly and moving them would be the last thing they'd need), but is there anything else non-chemical, apart from a good 'ole scrape of the decor? I see yours are on a shell, mine are usually (none at the moment but when they're around) on upturned terracotta plantpots.

Any tips on dealing with them?

Well, I've noticed that heavy Excel dosing kills off most of them, but it also nearly killed everything else in the tank too, so I wouldn't recommend it. The tank that these guys are in (which they spread too - grr) is fishless, so I have more freedom to experiment. I tried filling the tank with hot chlorinated water straight from the tap, but that didn't work. Next plan is to re-cycle it with ammonia.

Honestly, they don't bother me much now that I've discovered Aiptasia. :mad:

Try a copper-based treatment.

I am just spitballing here, but since copper kills inverts like corals, and hydrae are cnidarians like corals, maybe it's a shot.

Keep in mind copper will also soak into everything and leach out later....Not so great for some inverts, in the future....

Back
Top Bottom