I used the wrong silicone now what??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lespaul_flame

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I created some tunnels using pvc piping, silicone and rock. I used the GE silicone I but I used the kitchen and bath type. Now almost all my fish are dead. How do I fix this if I can.I removed the rock and tubing. I did a 50% water change so far. Any advice is greatly appreciated. :(

You will need to remove the siliconed items and do a 100% water change. I would also run some carbon in a filter for 24 hours as well to hopefully absorb anything left over. You can see if that will suffice by adding a test fish or 2 ( 2 is better in case one dies from natural causes.) If the fish survives, you can start to slowly add more. If not, I suggest you replace the substrate as whatever is in there is either in the substrate or in the silicone that holding the tank together.
This should be enough but should it not, there are other means of sterilizing the tank and silicone but tank replacement might be a faster solution.

Hope this helps

Back
Top Bottom