I want a fish that i can feed live food to, any suggestions?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
smomus said:
Pea puffers or a figure 8 puffer. But again only occasional live food..

From what I've heard they eat mostly snails or brine shrimp. I want watch the fish hunt down its prey (wow that sounds pretty sadistic)

heyheyitsrae said:
From what I've heard they eat mostly snails or brine shrimp. I want watch the fish hunt down its prey (wow that sounds pretty sadistic)

Haha! No is cool to watch. I spent an hour last night watching my puffer hunt down a ghost shrimp even though I had to be up early! Watching him go after the snails is pretty cool to!

heyheyitsrae said:

They won't spend much time hunting, just ripping it to shred! Why do they have to eat live fish? Can they take bloodworms or shrimp? Plus if you have to buy a feeder fish every time it's Hungry it's going to cost a lot. Depending on what your goingt o feed them start up a ten gallon and try and breed that fish.

I have a ten gallon set up and cycled now, that's what I was doing. What exactly are brine shrimp? Where can I buy them live and breed them?

African brown knife. .have 2 eats guppies ghost shrimp blackworms and small earthworms all live..plus gets adiet of frozens too..maybw a golden wonder killie it eats the same diet

Leaf fish stalk their prey. They can take on Rosy Minnows and smaller goldfish.

heyheyitsrae said:
I have a ten gallon set up and cycled now, that's what I was doing. What exactly are brine shrimp? Where can I buy them live and breed them?

They are also known as sea monkeys.

You would be better off trying to breed guppys/ghost shrimp. Feeding feeder fish is not healthy and doesn't offer any real nutritional value. At least with fish your breeding yourself they were actually fead healthy prior to becoming food for another fish offering more nutrition.

Also with the smaller size of the tank with the appropriate size fish for the tank, you won't be seeing any sort of real "feeding frenzy" if your lucky it might eat two at one feeding.

There is a huge diffrence between watching a 12" fish with a mouth that could fit a golf ball in it. And a 6" fish with a mouth the size of your thumb nail.

Aski247 said:
There is a huge diffrence between watching a 12" fish with a mouth that could fit a golf ball in it. And a 6" fish with a mouth the size of your thumb nail.

You're right. Maybe I should put it on the back burner until I can get a bigger tank and hopefully get a green terror. :sigh:

Well, off to decide what to do with my 30 gallon now!

heyheyitsrae said:
You're right. Maybe I should put it on the back burner until I can get a bigger tank and hopefully get a green terror. :sigh:

Well, off to decide what to do with my 30 gallon now!

Start up a thread and turn it into a 30 community. I'll help you if you go comm!

Samzter said:
Start up a thread and turn it into a 30 community. I'll help you if you go comm!

Maybe next week. I just bought it today right before I go to Dallas for a week (smart I know) so that's when I'll be able to start playing with it.

Back
Top Bottom