i want a male betta (advice on setup)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

benji-star

Aquarium Advice Activist
i want a boy betta i am going to put him in a ten gallon
what is the best setup of filtration for this does it really need filtration i have abunch of extra bits from other stuff not being used like extra air pump a ugf and tons of gravel and even a few extra bulbs(plants) that can go in

what should i do

A ten gallon tank is a great size for a betta.
I use an AquaClear mini hang on back filter on mine.
I wouldnt use plastic plants because the betta can rip his fins on them.
Go for silk or live plants.
A small pump and air stone would work well.

Good Luck.

I would recommend cycling the 10 gal [which means you will need filtration]. Otherwise you will need to do 100% water changes to keep the ammonia at zero. Granted, you won't have to do them as often as if he were in a 3 gallon but still that's a lot of water to change when the time comes.

Of course the biggest benefit is to the the betta who will be in a much more stable environment in a cycled tank.

I used to keep mine in an unfiltered tank once upon a day but it just got too time consuming and expensive. I personally like the peace of mind that comes with a cycled tank.

I think he'll love the plants too. Bettas enjoy dense vegetation so long as they can reach the surface for air and the plants aren't sharp or prickly. If you choose not to add plants he will still want a place to hide from time to time. [cave or hidey hole]

Since you have a 10 gallon and u want to put a betta in there I know youre going to be tempted to buy other fish to put in there with him. Sometimes the bettas can get along with other fish, and other times they will kill everything in sight. My suggestions are on the fish to buy rather than the equipment. Ok, lets start off with the fact that bettas are addictive and its impssible to buy just one. Id say, instead of buying 1 male betta buy 3-5 female bettas. You can keep them in a 10 gallon together as long as it is cycle and there is a lot of plant coverage. I think I prefer the females to my males because they seem to have even more personality than that males. Dont let people lead you to believe females are dark and ugly, some of my ladies are more beautiful than their male counterparts. Often in the store they appear dark becuase they are stressed and have their horizontal stripes showing but once you take them home they brighten up an amazing amount. Plus, they dont seem to run into as many fin problems as the males.
If you got 3 you could have 2 small corries, but with 5 you are maxed out. Anwyas, just thought Id add my 2 cents. Good luck.

Attachments

• new_aquarium_look_003.jpg
    new_aquarium_look_003.jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 209
I have a male betta in a ten gallon tank. I had a box filter in there with him, but took it out because they are a pain in the neck to keep clean. Then I tried a small hob but the current was so strong it tore his dorsal fin. So I currently have No filtration going at the moment. I do a 50% water change about every three days, but I am going to get a sponge filter for him as soon as possible. I test the water often, and have had no problems with ammonia or nitrites. I don't have any plans to get more fish for this tank...yet.

Your betta will love being in the 10 gallon tank! I wouldn't bother setting up the UGF. Use a sponge filter -- you'll need the small air pump to run the sponge filter. Don't forget a 50 watt heater, set to 80 degrees. I've read some other posts here that the bulb plants can get sharp and rip the betta's fins. I have silk plants in with my bettas. They don't tear the betta's fins. I also have a real plant, anubias nana and a cryptocoryne wendti, in each of my betta tanks.

started seting up the tank today going to use some fake plants and reg gravel going to buy sponge filter tommarow

It's not absolutely necessary -- bettas don't like bright light. Since you have fake plants, room light will be ok. The betta does need a cycle of day and night, though, but room light will be fine for this too. I'm in the process of setting up a new betta tank, and I just got a sponge filter and silk plants (forgot gravel! :roll: ) I got a glass hinged top for the tank, but no tank light yet. I may get one for the tank top later, but for now I have a lamp on a table a few feet away from the tank and I'll put this light on a timer, from probably 1 pm to 9pm. Before 1 pm, some light will come in through the window.

Back
Top Bottom