I want to add fish...but what to add?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

megos1

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hey Guys!

I've got an older 50gallon with perfect water chemistry, and I would like to add some new fish. I realize I am quickly running out of room, and I just wanted to add maybe two sajicas? Or anything else interesting that is compatible. Let me know what you think!

Tankmates:
1 Geophagus
2 Green Severums
1 Synodontis
1 Gold Gourami
2 Blood Parrots

Thanks!
Megan

eh your tank is probably not capable of housing too many more fish. in fact you could be completely stocked already.

green severums get 8 inches, and so do your blood parrots. that's already a potential 24 inches of fish, almost half of the amount of gallons in your tank. when you add the geophagus (depending on what kind of geophagus you have) those usually get at least 6 inches AFAIK, as well as depending on what species of synodontis you have which can get 6 inches as well

i'd be rather skeptical on adding more fish at this point unless you are planning on upgrading to a bigger tank.

Yeah, I know I've already maxed out my poor little 50gal. but I'm having issues with my geophagus bieng a bully, I was hoping there was something I could put in there that would put him in his place. I'm hoping to soon upgrade to a 75 (or hopefully more) in the near future.

I know the Sajicas wouldn't help this problem, but they stay relatively small and are so pretty!

Any advice for a naughty geophagus?

hi megan,
i have to agree with SF, you do have a lot of fish in the poor 50g. my first advice would be to take out the gold gourami, unless its several times larger and meaner than the other fish. are the severums mated? if so, then it might be necessary to take out more fish. if not, then its fine.
i haven't kept sajicas yet. but what i've seen so far, they are only aggressive when they are mating. so if you can find a mated pair, they might do something about your geo. how big is the geo right now?
the problem with tank bullies is that they'll bully anyone at hand. so even if you get a new one meaner than the geo, it doesn't mean that the tank would become peaceful. the new guy would definitely carry out his/her fair share of bullying, and the geo would continue as usual ;).
all your fish, barring the gold gourami can take and dish out plenty of abuse. so i wouldn't be worried.
and as always, look for second opinions from more experienced persons. i definitely know severum mama would chime in later.

Back
Top Bottom