I want to switch from gravel to sand...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishy_love

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have read that the best way to make this switch is to use a 2L bottle and to only change a third of the tank floor at a time at least a week apart. Is this the best/easiest way to do so?
Also, is it difficult to clean sand or is it the same technique as gravel vacuuming?
Thank you! :)

I have read that the best way to make this switch is to use a 2L bottle and to only change a third of the tank floor at a time at least a week apart. Is this the best/easiest way to do so?
Also, is it difficult to clean sand or is it the same technique as gravel vacuuming?

When I added my sand I just took out the gravel all at once and boy was it a mess!! I then just added after washing it really good. To clean I just take the hose and keep it about an inch above the substrate and it works fine

Good luck!!

FL, why do you want to switch to sand? Curious...

CMOS

I also just changed all mine at omce and like convict said yes it was a mess but IMO its well worth it sand liook loads better than gravel

Just did this in a few tanks, so a few reccommendations:

- do it all at once. Save some gravel in womens stockings to hang in tank for a week to ensure enough BB.

- put fish, decorations, and filter media in bucket of tank water during process and keep warm with heater.

- get all gravel out with a solo cup and cut the lip off for flexibility.

- clean only by rinsing with cleaner tank water, dont use soap or anthing else

- clean sand outdoors prior to beginning by puring portions into a bucket and rinsing until water turns clear. Repeat until all sand is done.

- if you like batural sand color (white/tan) use pool filter sand. Looks nicer, works well, cleans easiest, and only $8 for 50 pounds at leslie pool supply (if you have where you live).

- keep filter off about an hour after change to ensure it settles and none gets in filter

Good luck and enjoy your sand!

Thank you so much for the advice. I want to switch because I read sand is better for the fish than gravel. I also have a couple of little beginner plants and I think they'd do better in sand as well. Sand also seems to look cleaner than white gravel which shows really clearly where any un-eaten algae disc pieces are.

Back
Top Bottom