Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-04-2005, 11:53 PM   #1

I want your opinion!

I just bought a 55 gallon tank and when I was selling my old tanks the guy who bought them paid a premium to get the fish I had in them. I wouldn't sell him my royal pleco or my snowball pleco though because they are too cool. So, now I have a 55 gallon tank with two 2" long plecos in it and nothing else.

I was thinking of buying 50 neons for the tank but I rarely see people do this. Any reason? I think they are cool fish and would look great all together. Good idea? Is 50 too much? Thanks everyone!
Old 04-05-2005, 12:19 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

The problem with having 50 neon's is that they all swim at the same level in the tank unless you vary the type of tetra's. If I were you, I would mix in other fish that swim at different levels of the tank.

29 Gallon Lake Malawi Fry
55 Gallon Community
150 Gallon Lake Malawi Cichlid
Fishyfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2005, 12:40 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishyfanatic
The problem with having 50 neon's is that they all swim at the same level in the tank unless you vary the type of tetra's. If I were you, I would mix in other fish that swim at different levels of the tank.
It is one of the long short 55 gallons so I thought that would not be as much of a problem.
Old 04-05-2005, 12:48 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

It is entirely up to your observations of the fish. Start off by adding maybe 6 at a time and go from there. If the fish start to look crowded, scale it back. Just see how it goes as you add the fish. BTW- I LOVE the snowball pleco's. If you have a pic, I'd love to see yours.

55 Gallon Community
Old 04-05-2005, 12:53 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

I did something similar, I had a 48x17x15 planted tank and bought 25 neons. Their pretty cool, but with that size tank I wanted something showy and bigger, so I bought discus and ditched most of the neons. By the way, with not much esle in the tank, they did not really school all that much. If you add a dwarf gorami it may tighten them up and look good.
Old 04-05-2005, 01:05 AM   #6
RoK
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to RoK Send a message via MSN to RoK
If you get that many it would be hard to know if they are all eating and healthy IMO. Isn't there some other fish you would like to keep?
Current fish (includes all 3 running tanks): Polypterids, severums (of which I raised from eggs), gouramis, plecos (gold spot ones & a gurupa), loaches (zebras, yoyos, & a kubotai), macculocchi spotted silver dollars, an African butterfly fish, & Ctenopomas (a leopard & an ansorgii)
RoK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2005, 01:38 AM   #7

Ok, maybe I will just get 20 neons. What other fish do you guys think would be cool to throw in there? Remember I have the two plecos also.
Old 04-05-2005, 01:44 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via MSN to dr_girlfriend
I think a large school of fish would be cool! The only thing is that I've heard neon tetras are not long lived and tend to be hard to take care of. Maybe cardinal tetras would be better.

We weep for the bird's cry, but not for the blood of a fish. Blessed are those who have voice.

Pinky: "What are those Brain?" (pointing to a group of people protesting)
Brain: "People without jobs Pinky."

N. California aquarium maintenance, scuba certification, and boat services.

Need computer services in N. California? Click here!
dr_girlfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2005, 02:41 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to Felf
sounds like a small version of an amano aquarium if you do some mad aquascaping as well
Felf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2005, 03:40 AM   #10

What about 20 neons, 10 hatchetfish, and 10 dwarf african frogs? Any problems between any of these and/or the plecos?
Old 04-05-2005, 05:37 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

I would try many different types of tetras. These look great 8O
Old 04-05-2005, 12:11 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Starks
What about 20 neons, 10 hatchetfish, and 10 dwarf african frogs? Any problems between any of these and/or the plecos?
Bump.
Old 04-05-2005, 12:52 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Activist

I have 17 Neons in a 29 gallon tank and they all tend to school together.... at rest, they are clump together on one side of the tank near plants... you almost wouldn't notice I have more than 3-5 Neons when they do this. However, when they school back and forth, it's a nice scene... so much nicer with real plants.
From what I've seen at LFS that have larger tanks setup with neons... I think they can make up for a remarkable tank if you go with 30 or so ... just keep it primarily peaceful tetra species to go along with 'em ... you can't go wrong with another school of rummy nose tetras, bleeding heart tetras, Von rio tetras and add a school of harlequin rasboros would be nice.

On the other hand... I have 3 Rosey Barbs and they are extremely active and swim all over the tank... I can imagine a school of just a dozen or so of these will make for a VERY active tank.

... on the frogs and hatchets, I have no experience with them.
Old 04-05-2005, 01:30 PM   #14

Thanks for all the great info guys, keep it coming! Any specific info about the compatibility of frogs, neons, and hatchets would be especially useful.
Old 04-05-2005, 01:54 PM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

I don't know about the compatibility of the above, but tons of neons in a large planted tank can have a wonderful affect. BrianNY has a bunsh of black neons (I can't remember the other fish in the tank) and they look great. If you want a more hardy fish, I highly recommend white clouds. I have 10+ in a community 50 gal and they are wonderful upper dwellers. If you want showier fish that are still small, Celebes Rainbows are very cool; their finnage is gorgeous and they tend to stay together.

Menagerie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2005, 04:54 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

I like the idea of a large school of small fish being the theme. I just added ten pristella tetras to my tank a few weeks ago. Every now and then they have a group gathering that is very nice to look at.
Old 04-05-2005, 06:34 PM   #17

I am thinking of getting 70 cardinal tetras for the tank now, they have a deal at riverwonders.com for $50. Is that going to be too many fish for the tank, or OK since they school together? Sorry for all the questions, but I really want to set this up right!
Old 04-05-2005, 06:45 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

Adding 70 Tetra's at the same time is not a good idea. That is WAY to many fish for your tank to be able to handle the bio-load all at once.

55 Gallon Community
Old 04-05-2005, 07:06 PM   #19

Cool, I'm glad I asked first
Old 04-05-2005, 07:14 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict

If I were you, I would add about 6 per week or every other week. Just monitor the water parameters to make sure you aren't doing it too fast. If the ammonia hasn't spiked after adding the first 6, wait a week and add the others. If it spikes (and by spike I mean dramaticaly like going from 0 to 1) I'd wait two weeks and do water changes. If you do it slowly you won't have as many water changes to try to keep the ammonia levels down.

55 Gallon Community

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com