Ich

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Somykidswantedanaquarium

Aquarium Advice Activist
So our tank got the dreaded ich we tried everything weekly 20% water changes slowly got the tank to 86 degrees daily water test everything was fine until day 8 when we lost are 3 tiger barbs :( our albino cory catfish is hanging in there but I'm not sure how long he can handle the temp. :( my question is if he lives how will I know he's ich free?? I could tell on my barbs but with him I can't see anything does anyone know?

I would suggest no less than 5 or 6 Tiger barbs in the future. Also have you thought of a salt treatment?

Well we had 3 tiger barbs I was doing a fish in cycle was going to introduce more after it cycled but then came the ich :( I have a feeling my tank will be fish less soon so I might have to treat it and let it cycle for a month...I didn't do salt only because the fish were so stressed didn't want to intensify it :( I only have a 15 gallon tank so I'm gonna stay away from barbs just not enough room for them with my set up but wanting to get something my boys and myself will enjoy

Salt will only help them not stress them. Do you have an air stone in your tank?

Really the course of action I would take is getting a box of aquarium salt. Walmart under $3. One tablespoon per 5 gallons. So 3 tables spoons in your 15g tank. Secondly if you don't have an air stone running you should. They are also pretty cheap. With temp up/treatments you may not have enough oxygen in your tank causing death. As your cycling with fish your water parameters probably aren't perfect so you may want to bite the bullet and get some ick guard. Under $5 at walmart. Also the salt will actually reduce the stress in your fish while cycling/ help the ick problem. Cheers.

Yes I got an air stone to increase oxogen for them I will try the aquarium salt it can't hurt it's just so sad watching them well now just our Cory cat (Fred) he's all the way at the top hanging out right above the heater which I find odd if heat was bothering him why he would be there :/?

All levels are normal I cycled 2 weeks no fish first ph 7.2-7.8, ammonia 0 my water is soft 75, alkalinity 120, nitrite 0 nitrate 0

Somykidswantedanaquarium said:
Yes I got an air stone to increase oxogen for them I will try the aquarium salt it can't hurt it's just so sad watching them well now just our Cory cat (Fred) he's all the way at the top hanging out right above the heater which I find odd if heat was bothering him why he would be there :/?

It's not the heat, its the lack of oxygen. Warmer water holds less oxygen than cooler water.

Yeah that definitely sucks. Common battle pretty much anyone whose had fish has had to deal with. The salt should help them fight it a bit.

You could add more air stones. But it also can be the heat. Even if you did it gradually some fish tolerate heat better then others. Thats why I mentioned the meds before. If you use salt and meds you can slowly lower your heat back down and not have to worry about that aspect.

Thank you guys for your response I only have our baby Cory cat left he's doing ok it's just so hard to see if he even has ich he's only 1" and albino :( its almost been 10 days so tomorrow will be 9 I will do aquarium salt and slowly start turning the heat down ( yes I did increase the temp. slowly :) ) I'm going to hope for the best but will keep you guys updated :)

Plus I just discovered I was lied to I have an albino pleco not a Cory I'm really mad about this because my lfs lied to me I have a 15g tank I could not handle a pleco he knows that when I told him he looked different than pictures I saw he said oh it because he's small but after putting pics up here I was told I had a pleco :(

image-1411102865.jpg

My not Cory cat :(

Yea definitely complain to whoever is in charge there, and if the guy who sold you the pleco IS the guy in charge then I would return it and not shop there anymore. He lied to you and even if it was a Cory cat they need to be in groups and he should have said that for sure. Good news though, since you have ich and if you return the pleco you can fully treat your tank and have no worries about any more fish deaths. Once ich is gone restock and have a fresh start.

Back
Top Bottom