Ich Aftermath?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BlaseMrNiceguy

Aquarium Advice FINatic
So I got done with my API super ich cure and I did everything exactly to specifications on the bottle. However I am still noticing a whit speck or two the the rear fin of a couple of fish. It absolutely looks better than it did. Is there just possibly residual skin left over possibly still healing or is there still ich, should I do another round of treatment, how long should I wait between treatments?

Just raise the heat to 86, if not already. Was the ich really bad? How long did you treat after you noticed it?

I only noticed a couple of fish showing signs one had it kinda bad on his rear fin but that was about it. I treated the day after I noticed it and treated for 4 days I can't seem to get my heat above about 80 degrees. The medicine I bought says it's doesn't say anything about possibly needing to do a second treatment. What I'm seeing on the fish now doesn't seem to be getting any worse or spreading to any other fish at the moment.

If you're still seeing it on the fish, the ich cycle has not been stopped by the meds. The low heat might have something to do with that. I would recommend you either stick in a secondary heater to boost that heat up or just purchase a better heater that's capable of reaching higher temps.

Add an airstone to increase oxygenation

Do gravel vacs every 2-3 days to remove ich spore from substrate

You can try adding a little aquarium salt, if your species can tolerate it

Maintain this until at least 1 week after you see the last spot on a fish

Gotcha I'll probably end up going to buy another heater today. Also I've heard of wrapping the tank in towels now does that mean the entire tank or just the top portion as I imagine most of the heat transfer is from the actual surface of the water.

Wrap the entire tank, not just the top. The only time I wrap is when we lose power during colder weather.

But for the time being I think that may be my best option I can just drap a comforter over it for the time being to bring up the heat

In your opinion what would be the best heater for a 55 gallon I have a 200w right now should I maybe just grab another 200w?

It's adjustable and I have it all the way up but i keep it kinda cool in my house, usually around 70F. I already have it wrapped up for the time being thinking its because it's a cheap heater still may go get another one, what brand would you recommend?

Went out today and bought a 300w heater I have both heaters set all the way up and running strong at 86F so wish me luck probably doing a gravel vac later today.

Let us know how you make out. Having good equipment can make a world of difference.

Absolutely does, holding strong at 86 no problems starting to see less dots already and a lot less flashing plus everyone seems so happy in the higher temp almost thinking of leaving it a little higher for all the activity. Btw while I was out upgrading my heater had to upgrade my hood and lights too after this is all said and done will be posting up some pics in the members tanks area.

Pleased to report only 1 small white spot on 1 barb I think the worst is over will hold strong at 86 1 week from the day after I see the last dot doing my 2nd gravel vac tonight. Thank you for all the help I feel if I hadn't posted this thread I would have just let it run its course until it was too late. Thank you do much!

Back
Top Bottom