Ich…how to prevent and my new Loaches!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I think Balas should be considered in general as they are one of my favorite fresh water aquarium fish but I did mean as an ick indicator as well. I agree there are many reasons for them to rub their bodies but I have read articles about they way they rub their bodies can tell you if its to indicate ick. I am attaching a link for you to look at if your would like.

It talks about ick indicating in the last paragraph.
Bala Shark

I'm not trying to be rude, but you've clearly missed the point. As I said, "Without knowing tank size or stock, a poor choice to offer." I have read that article previously and this is just one statement with no scientific basis to support the claim. Also it contradicts this article in regards to breeding. http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=830+888+1177&pcatid=1177 and I trust this one more.

As Fresh also pointed out, fish flashing could be indicative of anything. Most often it's poor water conditions, in turn stressing fish and lowering immunities therefore making them highly susceptible to disease. IMO, to offer them as a guinea pig is not right.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium advice.

Loaches are sensitive to meds. Much better way to make sure that they are ich free is to administer a heat treatment. 86-88 degrees for 2 weeks. This will eradicate any ich from the tank, and the only way they could get reinfected is if you reintroduce it with new fish. Treating new fish with heat while they are in quarantine will ensure that your show tank remains ich free.

Agreeing with aquaholic

Thanks for all your feedback guys. Glad to be here.
I have a 350 liters aquarium. Slowly building it for cichlids. I usually do water change every two weeks and monthly cleaning on my canister filter that has carbon and purigen. Aside from dechlorinating the tank i add salt as well about 3 full tablespoon. Luckily my scaleless fish, clown and plecos, are safe to my habit of adding salt without knowing that they are different with the ordinary fish with scales.

I learned a lot on this post.

I myt consider using stress coat after water change as well. I guess every hobbyist would agree.…

Sent via air mail

Back
Top Bottom