ich, ick what ever you want to call it

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

spiketooth

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I been thinking sense everytime i get fish from any lfs here theres a 75% chance its going to have ich. Been researching and reading any artical about ich and peoples fourms. As most of us know you can kill ich well it is attached to the fish only when it falls off. So knowing this i thought i set up two qt. The two tanks are the same in every single way. Once i see all the white bumps gone(assuming theres none on the gills) move them to the other qt and continue treating. Now the first tank that has ich i will clean it and dry it out so there is no more ich. Set it back up, if they stillshow signs of ich repeat the process. All this transfer will happen in low light to help reduce the stress. Any thought on this???

Edit: reason for the transfer to try to leave all the ich that has fallen off in one tank and move them to a ich free tank

Trying it right now just moved a rainbow fish from qt #1 to qr #2 the second i notice the white bumps were gone. Everything the same in water and temp so no need to acclimate. I will keep updates

Id be afraid you'll infect tank #2 when you transfer fish from tank #1 because the ich cant always be seen with the naked eye and might be floating about in any water that goes with.
Id be curious how this works out though. :cool:

Its my understanding this is actually a fairly common practice for some speciality aquarists (such as discus) when dealing with parasite issues such as ich or flukes. Granted, microscopy is typically employed to rule out transferring disease on the body or gills to the new, sterile tank. Too much work and time (and space for additional tanks) in my opinion for most of us hobbiests but I am interested in the outcome if you try this.

i know some will get transferred over, but the thought behind this is to reduce how much is i the tank becuase i have read once it falls off it can multiply in hundreds and thousands

Once it falls off is the only time you can kill it, the best treatment is temperature increase to at lease 87 this will mess up the life cycle,

Once it falls off is the only time you can kill it, the best treatment is temperature increase to at lease 87 this will mess up the life cycle,

Temp will not kill ick, increasing temp only increase there life cycle from being on the fish, fall off then multiply then burst into free swimg then infect another fish and starts all over again

Temp will not kill ick, increasing temp only increase there life cycle from being on the fish, fall off then multiply then burst into free swimg then infect another fish and starts all over again

actually temperature alone can kill ich. if the temp is close to 89f it speeds up their life cycle and they are unable to reproduce fast enough and eventually die off. i am basing this off multiple sources.

I have not read any aritcles were that has been stated would you have any of those link i would like to know

This is actually one of the best methods I've read about for treating the marine version of ich. Just do a complete water and tank change every 3 days and the ich will be gone shortly. The only downside is that the fish gets stressed from all that handling and netting can be potentially detrimental to fish health.

Freshwater ich is WAY easier to deal with tho. Like was said just raise the temp of the water to 86 and keep it that way for 10 days. I did this in my 55g community tank and it worked like a charm. The only problem is that you need a really accurate thermometer and a quality heater to handle the temp

actually temperature alone can kill ich. if the temp is close to 89f it speeds up their life cycle and they are unable to reproduce fast enough and eventually die off. i am basing this off multiple sources.

Fresh water ich is unable to infect fish when the water is above 85 degrees and it needs to find a host within a short amount of time or it dies.

Using Heat to Treat Ich in Freshwater Tropical Fish - Article at The Age of Aquariums - Tropical Fish

Raise heat to 86+ and get Rid Ich Plus, the ONLY medication/chemical I will back 100% in my tank. My loache were covered and I mean COVERED in Ich. They were miserable the first few days and I felt horrible. Finally got Rid Ich + based on a ton of reviews online and it saved my tank.

Im only recently recovered from my first dealings with Ich. I raised the temp to 85 degrees and used some stuff I got from Drs. F & S. Herbal Treatment for Aquarium Parasite Diseases: Ecological Laboratories Microbe-Lift Herbtana
and did a 25% PWC every other day for 10 days.

I know the temp is supposed to go 86 degrees, but I was afraid if I adjusted my heater for 1 degree that I would end up getting 10.

At any rate, while I did lose one badly infected fish, the infection did not spread and the remaining fish are healthy and more active than they were before.

I have killed ich with heat and salt. Heat alone can kill ich, not because it kills it necessarily, but it speeds up their lifecycle. And, at 86-88 they cannot breed, making it so eventually, they die off.

Someone on here had a chart, I will try to find it and report back with it so you can take a look.

Back
Top Bottom