Ich outbreak!!! Help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kmny34

Aquarium Advice FINatic
In the last week I had a huge ich outbreak in my 30 gallon tank! I believe that I got it from a bn pleco that I got from petco.

I turned my heater up gradually to 80 degrees from 76 degrees. And I started treating it with some Gordon's ich attack!! IT SUCKS!

The ich has just gone from a couple white spots to tons of white spots. What can I do???

Is there anything that I can buy that will work better???

yes . i had 22 tanks up and i used it in all my tanks. even my qt tanks. i sweare by this stuff. its filter safe plant safe and fish safe

As far as I understand, Ich goes through different cycles of its life and as long as you can see it on the fish, the meds wont kill it. The temperature being higher will result in the life cycles progressing much fast. When it falls off the fish to multiply is when it is vulnerable to the meds.

This is what I did.

I had an out break myself a few weeks ago. I got the petco brand herbal ich stuff and turned my temp to 82-83 degrees.
Took the carbon out of my hob filter and used the meds. Due to misreading the bottle I overdosed, but all of the 7 fish that had ich are now ich free and living great.
I keep my tank at 80 degrees and havent seen ich since!

yes . i had 22 tanks up and i used it in all my tanks. even my qt tanks. i sweare by this stuff. its filter safe plant safe and fish safe

I just bought some paraguard off of amazon! It should arrive in 2-5 days!!! Hopefully that's not to late!

Should I continue to use Gordon's ich attack until I get the paraguard???

If using meds dont add salt. Also before adding salt it has to be aquarium salt, also consider what fish you have in the tank as it can kill a variety of different fish.

I raised the temp but did not add salt! Should I add salt??

Not if youre planning on medicating, do you have aquarium salt?. What fish do you have? I would actually treat using the salt and heat method rather than medicating. Just a reassuring comment, Relax alittle, ich is easy to treat and would take a looong time to kill fish, afew spot is just an irritant to them and looks worse than it is.

It will slowly begin to die back over afew weeks you will see less and less spots forming. Week one 50 spots then 40 25 10 gone. You could actually eliminate ich by heat only but salt would speed up the process.

Not if youre planning on medicating, do you have aquarium salt?. What fish do you have? I would actually treat using the salt and heat method rather than medicating. Just a reassuring comment, Relax alittle, ich is easy to treat and would take a looong time to kill fish, afew spot is just an irritant to them and looks worse than it is. It will slowly begin to die back over afew weeks you will see less and less spots forming. Week one 50 spots then 40 25 10 gone.

I've heard that salt can kill plants??? Is this true?
I have a 30 gallon, how much salt should I use if I do??

Back
Top Bottom