Ich treatment without killing snails

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Disastroues

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Came home this evening and started to feed my fish. When I noticed a couple of white spots on my goldfish tail. I know it's ich and I know I can use chemical or salt. Is there any way to treat the ich without harming my apple snail that is in the tank. My other tank has assassin snails in it.
Any suggestions or knowledge is appreciated.

I did an 80% WC in the hopes that will help. Just adding in some of the last bit of water. Will dosing with extra prime do me any good you think?

Raise the temp to 86ºF, increase the amount of oxygen you deliver to the water, and keep the water clean.

Goldfish are a robust species, their immune system has a good chance of overcoming the disease itself.

Raise the temp to 86ºF, increase the amount of oxygen you deliver to the water, and keep the water clean.

Goldfish are a robust species, their immune system has a good chance of overcoming the disease itself.

How quickly should I raise the temperature I don't wanna do it too fast. I keep their water at around 71-74 F.

I've never heard of anyone using Prime as part of a treatment for Ich and am unaware of any literature of its effectiveness as an antibiotic.

If this is part of the water change system you employ to keep the water clean, then it will help in the sense that the water will be fresh and conditioned.

What I mean is, using Prime will not provide a substantial advantage but won't harm either.

I've never heard of anyone using Prime as part of a treatment for Ich and am unaware of any literature of its effectiveness as an antibiotic.

If this is part of the water change system you employ to keep the water clean, then it will help in the sense that the water will be fresh and conditioned.

What I mean is, using Prime will not provide a substantial advantage but won't harm either.

The only thing I can think of is that it helps with stress

So would a reasonable regiment be a 50% WC daily until conditions improve. And for how long after the ich has healed should I keep the temperature at 86ºF ?

I really appreciate all the help and advice with this.

WAITT!! I did some more thinking.

What variety is your Goldfish? Certain goldfish live in coldwater and will be killed by such high temperatures.

I am sorry, I should have cleared this up earlier. Raising the temperature of a Comet aquarium to 86ºF will weaken their immune system. I can not recommend this as a solution for Comets.

Back to the drawing board.

I am sorry, I should have cleared this up earlier. Raising the temperature of a Comet aquarium to 86ºF will weaken their immune system. I can not recommend this as a solution for Comets.

No, raising the temp for commets and common goldfish is fine.

That's ok. I appreciate the effort. At least you thought of it before it was worse.

We'll get there! Try Kordon Ick Attack, it is copper free and safe for invertebrates.

I've heard good things about this product from a few fellow AquariumAdvisers, but have never used it. Would you tell me how it works out if you decide to try it?

We'll get there! Try Kordon Ick Attack, it is copper free and safe for invertebrates.

I've heard good things about this product from a few fellow AquariumAdvisers, but have never used it. Would you tell me how it works out if you decide to try it?

I'll see if I'm able to find any. I not heard of it before. Worse comes to worse I go out and get a 10 Gallon quarantine tank for the snails, and treat my whole tank as a preventative measure.

Back
Top Bottom