ICK

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jonny1982

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I think 2 of my Glofish have ick. They are in a 29 gallon aquarium with 5 other fish. What is the best way to handle this?

Thanks

What's the other fish?

1. Turning the temp up to 86. If you have no fish sensitive to high temps this is the easiest method. It super speeds up the life cycle of the ick and it should go away fairly fast.

2. Medicinal. LFS sell medicines for ick. Primafix and Melafix I've hard have good success rates.

3. A salt bath. This is not a cure but definitely will take some stress off of them. Dosing some aquarium salt will help. UNLESS you have Cory cats. They are sensitive to salt.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

I have 2 Glofish, 2 guppies, 1 redwag platy, 1 bala shark, and 1 raphael catfish (I will be eventually putting the catfish and shark in a bigger tank).

Heat is the best way to do it. Raise the temp by a degree or 2 every hour until the tank is at 86 degrees. Keep it there for 2 weeks after the last sign of ich goes away.

Melafix and pimafix won't do anything for ich.

Heat is the best way to do it. Raise the temp by a degree or 2 every hour until the tank is at 86 degrees. Keep it there for 2 weeks after the last sign of ich goes away.

Melafix and pimafix won't do anything for ich.

Oops wrong meds. But there are ick remedies. My bad.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

You think the fish I have can handle the heat? If no action is taken, ich will kill all the fish for sure right? Darn, the heater I have is the kind that only keeps the tank at 78 all the time, no adjustments. Looks like I'll be getting a new heater!

Just as a side note I would say the Bala shark is the source of the ick(by inducing stress in the other fish) unless brought in by a newly added fish. Bala Sharks Get 1 foot at least once mature adults. They like groups of 4-5+ so no less than 125 gallon tank. I would take him back unless you are prepared for that kind of housing. People have kept just 1 but it's more stressful on the fish and we just want what's best for them.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

You think the fish I have can handle the heat? If no action is taken, ich will kill all the fish for sure right? Darn, the heater I have is the kind that only keeps the tank at 78 all the time, no adjustments. Looks like I'll be getting a new heater!
They will be fine.

Go for an eheim jager heater. They are very popular and affordable.

Back
Top Bottom