Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-20-2017, 12:27 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

ID Betta Type

A few months ago I found a beautiful male Betta. He was sold to me as a Dragon King, but I have no idea if he really is. I also have a large female, that was sold as a female Halfmoon. Can anyone please help me ID them? I just want to know if they were labeled correctly. The male might be a King, but he might also be a larger Plakat. The female looks pretty big, at least compared to my other females, and now that I'm trying to get the two to spawn, she looks pretty close in size to the male. The female's tail doesn't have a full 180 tail, it's close, but not. I'm not good at taking pictures, so the quality is not the best.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Royal Spawning 007.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	164.6 KB
ID:	304463   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sorority 003.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	250.7 KB
ID:	304464  

Attached Files

Old 10-22-2017, 09:36 AM   #2
AA Member
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Did you find out? I've seen websites of betta types but never really bothered too much on it.

Old 10-22-2017, 10:41 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

I got them to spawn, and by watching them it seems that my first thought was right. The male is a large Halfmoon Plakat, while the female kept slipping from his embrace, so that means that she is at least of equal size. It was their first time though. I've read about telling tail types, but it is pretty vague on telling if a female is a Plakat or not, the differences seem to be really subtle with the anal fin.

Tags
betta

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com