Id confirmation please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Flossie

Aquarium Advice Addict
Is he a false Julie and is that the same as a three lined cory?? Also I have PFS is that ok ?? I Have him with my 7 rummynose in a ten gallon with a 10-20 filter. I probably don't have room for anymore cories? I would like to make a small school but I'm afraid of over stocking

Attachments

• image-4080354181.jpg
    image-4080354181.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 105
I way I learned to tell apart the false juhliis was by looking at their forehead. The falsies do not have perfect dots while the real juhliis do. I cannot quite tell by looking at the picture which he is. Regardless, he should reach aobut 2 inches and is a little too big for a 10 gallon tank since he needs cory friends in order to be happy. Sorry. IMO, a 10 gallon is not big enough for a cory school unless they are pygmys.

Yup, it appears to be a three lined, which is what is often referred to as "false julii". True julii's are rarely imported. They do best in shoals of 6 or more, but 4 at the very least are needed. They are very active little catfish that really do need a minimum of a 20 gal tank. The only cories small enough to thrive in a 10 gal are the pygmy cories which are hasbrosus, nanus, pygmaeus, and hastatus.

I consider 20 gals the minimum for rummynoses as well. The only tetras that work in a 10 gal IMO are neons and embers. If keeping them in a 10 I wouldn't add any other fish to the tank. :)

absolutangel04 said:
I way I learned to tell apart the false juhliis was by looking at their forehead. The falsies do not have perfect dots while the real juhliis do. I cannot quite tell by looking at the picture which he is. Regardless, he should reach aobut 2 inches and is a little too big for a 10 gallon tank since he needs cory friends in order to be happy. Sorry. IMO, a 10 gallon is not big enough for a cory school unless they are pygmys.

Cant I get a couple pygmys to go with him? The only large tanks I have at the moment are gold fish or African cichlid tanks... Lol I don't think he needs to
Go in either of those... I'm hoping for a large community tank... Then maybe I can move him

siva said:
Yup, it appears to be a three lined, which is what is often referred to as "false julii". True julii's are rarely imported. They do best in shoals of 6 or more, but 4 at the very least are needed. They are very active little catfish that really do need a minimum of a 20 gal tank. The only cories small enough to thrive in a 10 gal are the pygmy cories which are hasbrosus, nanus, pygmaeus, and hastatus.

I consider 20 gals the minimum for rummynoses as well. The only tetras that work in a 10 gal IMO are neons and embers. If keeping them in a 10 I wouldn't add any other fish to the tank. :)

K I don't have to add anymore :) i may can move the Cory later on... Then should I add anything else with the rummynose? I will be scared to move the rummies...

Flossie said:
K I don't have to add anymore :) i may can move the Cory later on... Then should I add anything else with the rummynose? I will be scared to move the rummies...

Oh and is a 10 to small in your opinion bc of activity level?? Lol I meant to
Edit not quote myself!!

Corys only really school with their own variety. However, I have had just 1 of a cory variety mixed in with other corys of different varieties and they all got along well and hung out together. I was mis-informed when I first got corys and I ended up with 2 julii and 1 elegans. The loner still hung out with the others and seemed fine.

You probably shouldn't add anything in with the rummys. They are active and need some space to swim around in.

absolutangel04 said:
Corys only really school with their own variety. However, I have had just 1 of a cory variety mixed in with other corys of different varieties and they all got along well and hung out together. I was mis-informed when I first got corys and I ended up with 2 julii and 1 elegans. The loner still hung out with the others and seemed fine.

Hmmm well this is my first time ever owning a Cory so I really don't know much about them personally. First time rummy owner as well. I really like them... The rummys still have by settled in though :(

absolutangel04 said:
You probably shouldn't add anything in with the rummys. They are active and need some space to swim around in.

Oh ok. I'm cool with that :)

Because of both their adult size and activity level, yes.

Not sure if that will work to add pygmy's. I keep julii's and panda's together and they do not shoal together. I keep two different types of pygmy's together and they do shoal together (or atleast they did...haven't seen it much lately). If you just got one I would either take it back or get three more of the same type and upgrade them later if a larger community is in the works.

Hmmm well this is my first time ever owning a Cory so I really don't know much about them personally. First time rummy owner as well. I really like them... The rummys still have by settled in though :(
Yeah, the rummys are lovely. Someday, I would like to get a school of rummy, but I have to wait until all my platys are gone so I have tank space.

siva said:
Because of both their adult size and activity level, yes.

Not sure if that will work to add pygmy's. I keep julii's and panda's together and they do not shoal together. I keep two different types of pygmy's together and they do shoal together (or atleast they did...haven't seen it much lately). If you just got one I would either take it back or get three more of the same type and upgrade them later if a larger community is in the works.

I would love to get a few more buddies for
Him and I'm in the works of upgrading just lack the money at the moment... :) the rummynose will have to stay though.. There is no way I'm moving them again lol!!

I would love to get a few more buddies for
Him and I'm in the works of upgrading just lack the money at the moment... :) the rummynose will have to stay though.. There is no way I'm moving them again lol!!
Yes another MTS victim, you are! lol I say get him three more friends as soon as you can, and then up it to atleast 6 total once you get them upgraded. (y)

siva said:
Yes another MTS victim, you are! lol I say get him three more friends as soon as you can, and then up it to atleast 6 total once you get them upgraded. (y)

Hey that's sounds awesome! I love stuff like this bc I feel better if I NEED something. Haha I've read that rummies need a 10g min. on a couple different
Sites... So if I move my little Cory friend they should be fine right?

Hehe no prob. You know I can't say with absolute certainty that they are not OK in a 10 because I haven't kept them. I have kept many different types and many different sizes of tetras and of those, only neons and embers seem small enough and mellow enough for a 10 gal. You'll just have to watch and use your best judgement I guess. ;)

No prob, in this case it's multiple tank syndrome :whistle: hehe When you hear it referred to as something in your tank, then it's malaysian trumpet snails. :cool:

absolutangel04 said:
Sorry to ask, but what does mts stand for?

Tag!! Your it!!! As soon as u discover the meaning of MTS you get it!!! Good luck with that!! Hahahaha

Back
Top Bottom