ID snails

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kasakato

Aquarium Advice Freak
What kind of snails are these? They came free with my plants and now there are about 50 of them. I had to take some out of my main tank and put them in my 5.5g to keep it looking nice. I dont want to kill them so what can I do? Can I sell them :?

Snail in my main tank:
snailstank10mz.jpg

Second tank holing snails:
snailstank20dr.jpg

TIA

Edit: Sorry about the pics below. I couldent get it to work :oops:

Attachments

• snails-_tank_1.jpg
    snails-_tank_1.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 137
  • snails-_tank_1.jpg
    snails-_tank_1.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 62
The first pic is a common pond snail. I can't really make out the second pic. The snails flourish off of uneaten food in your tank. Feeding less will help. Otherwise, depending on your tank size and how much room you have, you could try one of the smaller loaches.

The snails are tthe same in both pics. i only give my fish a few flakes everyday, so that cant be the problem. However my plant's leaves are melting so I bet that is what they are eating. My tank is a 20g H and is more or less already full. But I will soon be adding a sump, giving me a bit more room for fish. What kind of loach is good?

Because the footprint on a 20H is somewhat small, I retract my suggestion of a loach. Another method is to add a piece of cucumber or squash after lights out. The snails will get on the veggie and can be removed this way. It's not going to get rid of all your snails but, hopefully it will keep them under control. I'm sure there are chemical means of eradicating snails but, I don't know what they are. Good luck.

Ok the loach is out the door now. I dont want to use any chems in my tank. If I use it the dead snails will then rot, giving me a ammoina problem. Il have to try the veggie removel method.

The kuli is a great suggestion. I didn't know they were snail eaters. I have a few of these myself and they are fun to watch. :D

Khulis will eat the snails there'll just be lots of empty shells in the tank because they only eat the snail's soft body. Khulis are best in groups.

Also it'd be better not to use chemicals because it looks like you have live plants in the tank- shows what looks like crypt. wendtii to the right. Some chemicals can have adverse effects on the plants and may not even kill the snails.

As far as the melting leaves go, if its a crypt, then its a fairly common problem. Crypt Rot can occur when the plant is uprooted. I wouldn't worry about it too much, unless the LFS overcharged you for it.

Basically all the leaves could rot off and the plant would still grow back if you left it there, but it's only usually just a couple leaves.

Like Psyhampster said it's mostly caused from uprooting the plant- that's y it is not suggested to move crpts after you plant them in the substrate. It can also happen from sudden changes in lighting.

Back
Top Bottom