id this snail?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tarpon

Aquarium Advice Addict
Darn that petsmart. I thought just because i couldnt see them they werent there. But when i introduced an anubias i now see this snail and 2 more veryyy tiny ones much smaller than it. Can you tell me what kind they probably are? and if i should take action?
I dont mind a few to add doversity to the aquarium but i dont want my tank to become overrun.

Forgot pictures:

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20111108_232228.jpg
    ForumRunner_20111108_232228.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 84
  • ForumRunner_20111108_232334.jpg
    ForumRunner_20111108_232334.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 89
Whoops, you got the pictures.
If you are looking down on the snail while its shell is facing you and the head is pointed up, the tail is pointed down, which way does the shell curl point?

I dont know then. Bladder snails' whorl goes to the left, pond snails' goes to the right. Are you positive it goes straight back and doesn't point just slightly to one side?

Pond snails, the Physa acuta type, basically the smallest of the 3 or 4 different types of snails people call "pond snails". The snails and their eggs often hitchhike on live plants. Even after shaking and spraying off the plants there may be small snails and eggs unless they are treated with some chemical to kill the snails and eggs.

I keep my pond snails in a vase and in a jar, but wouldn't let them in a tank.

Well didnt see them this morning ....probably retreated into the dark depths of the tank to spawn grrr.
Unless theyre nocturnal....
How do i get rid of them if they become a problem? The lettuce trick?

I HATE pond snails! I have literally HUNDREDS in my tank right now! My tank looks dirty because of all the baby snails!

I recommmend the lettuce trick. You will have to do it a few times to make sure you get them all though. Also, since there are so few, you can try to just remove the ones you see, but of course they are wickedly good at hiding!

These things are amazing. One was moving upside down underwater clinging to the surface film like it was glass.
And do these things grow and reproduce exponentially fast? Because now i see 4 bigger ones and like 3 or 4 smaller ones...

Ohh...i only have 4 small bottomfeeders that i feed every other day....since my whole stock got zapped by that heater

In theory, that mans the snails reproduce too fast, but they are really good scavengers, and they can eat algae and stuff, so IME, they will reproduce no matter what. But, if you don't want them, just take out the ones you see and put in lettuce to collect the ones you don't see. Honestly, I leave all the pest snails in my tanks. They have never bothered my plants, so I just let them be. Up to you.

I think ill leave them for a while and if it starts to get out of control KILL THEM ALL!!!
Or maybe move them to my 10 gallon and let them live a life of peace with some shrimp

Back
Top Bottom