ID: Which Barb is this?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

greenfin

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I'm wondering if someone can help me identify a Barb for sale at my lfs - the owner claims it is a "Checkered Barb" but they don't look like the pictures I've seen of those fish.

It has four vertical black bands and otherwise a golden brown colour, almost exactly identical to a Tiger Barb (Puntius tetrazona) without the bright red fins. It's shape, however, is not as triangular as a Tiger Barb, it's slimmer and longer looking. In fact, it looks very much like Puntius pentazona and Puntius hexazona except it has four bars instead of five or six.
Anyone have any idea which Barb this is?

Cheers, and thanks in advance.

In fact, it looks very much like Puntius pentazona and Puntius hexazona except it has four bars instead of five or six.

Figures, I see this AFTER I post. How large is the fish? It is possible that it is just still in it's juvenile stages, or has only 4 bands, and not 5.

They range from about 1.5" to 2".

Basically, they look exactly like Five Banded Barbs, but only have four bands. Is it possible that they are just a version with only four bands? Is that unusual?

Back
Top Bottom