Idea for a new tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Patrick_A

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello,

I was wanting to start a different tank (for me). I am usually into fish I find more interesting than what you can get at the more mundane pet stores. Alas, these fish generally don't come in very "pretty" varieties. I have a 75G now with an African theme but would like something else a little more eye catching.

I was considering throwing this together:

1x SAE
1x BN Pleco
2x Leopard Veil Angelfish
6x Black Ruby Barbs/Odessa Barb/Cherry Barb (Undecided as to which)
7x Emperor Tetras
8x Cardinal Tetras

Can't see any reason this shouldn't work but I would like to ear some personal experiences if possible. Or suggestions if I have made an error in my stock list but don't know it.

Edit: I am sorry. I forgot to add. This will be in a standard 55G.

Last edited:
Hello,

I was wanting to start a different tank (for me). I am usually into fish I find more interesting than what you can get at the more mundane pet stores. Alas, these fish generally don't come in very "pretty" varieties. I have a 75G now with an African theme but would like something else a little more eye catching.

I was considering throwing this together:

1x SAE
1x BN Pleco
2x Leopard Veil Angelfish
6x Black Ruby Barbs/Odessa Barb/Cherry Barb (Undecided as to which)
7x Emperor Tetras
8x Cardinal Tetras

Can't see any reason this shouldn't work but I would like to ear some personal experiences if possible. Or suggestions if I have made an error in my stock list but don't know it.

Edit: I am sorry. I forgot to add. This will be in a standard 55G.

I am unsure of the temperament of the barbs you listed, but I've had some who fin nip my angels in the past. Again, every fish is different, so you might not have any issues. :) I'd love to see how they turn out.

I was hoping that keeping them in a group of 6 or more would help curb that desire.

From what I have researched the black ruby barb seems to be the most mild mannered of the ones I have selected. The cherry barb appears to be similar to the black ruby barbs in behavior and temperament, perhaps a little more shy. The odessa barb seems to be more concerned with fighting each other but they are a slight risk with fin nipping but everything I read it should be subdued in a school.

I was just looking for a splash of non-neon red without another tetra and these guys seem to fit the bill. I am leaning toward Odessa barbs because of the additional fin colors they bring with the blue/green but I would prefer my fish to be safe and happy.

Last edited:
I would leave out the angels for several reasons. They do best in groups to spread the aggression, they are out of scale with the rest of your fish, and they may start snacking on your cardinals. Don't get me wrong because I love angels. I have 7 of them in my 150 gallon tank with 6 large geophagus.

My other main tank is a low tech planted 90 gallon with the following mix of fish: 9 neons, 9 harlequin rasboras, 4 emperor tetras, 8 rummynose tetras, 6 glass catfish, 10 kuhlii loaches, 12 dwarf loaches, 1 Bolivian ram, and assorted cories and BNPs. I'm very happy with this mix of fish. My only change would be to move the cories because the loaches constantly nip at them.

Ah, didn't think angels would be able to eat these fish as most grow to 2 inches (apparently) especially since angels grow taller than they do long. As for the number, I was planning on getting two to pair off. Didn't know it would be a problem not to have more.

Do you have any suggestions for more...interesting looking fish that could be a centerpiece? That's what I was going to use the angels for. I was looking at a RTS but they seem to be a little on the aggressive side for the somewhat timid tank mates. If you think an RTS would be OK I'd have to ditch the idea of an SAE I am pretty sure. I was also looking at apistos before the angels but they appear to be somewhat sensitive...is that true?

I haven't kept RTS in years, but I know that they can be aggressive, especially towards similar looking fish. How about 3-5 Bolivian rams? They are active and inoffensive.

I haven't kept redline torpedo barbs, but I hear that they are pretty cool. I think that they do best with water on the less warm side.

Red line torpedo barbs are pretty, I was looking into those until I decided I wanted multiple schools. I think they get to be 4"? Anyway. Can rams be kept alone or do they need a community? What about Badis or an Neon Blue Gourami?

Rams do better with company. I had 5 in my 90 gallon tank and after 5 years only 1 is left. He seems to miss the company, and I am going to reload the next time that I see them for sale.

I love badis. However, most of them will eat only live or frozen food.

Blue gouramis tend to have aggression issues if you keep more than 1 male.

That's unfortunate about the Badis. Really pretty fish. And I am sorry for your losses. I hope your remaining soldier can get more company soon.

I was looking for a centerpiece fish so I would prefer to get something that will do well on it's own or in pairs, has a different shape than the tetras and barbs, and is slightly larger than the schooling fish which cap out around 2". I know the SAE and Bristle nose get up to 4" depend but I wouldn't call either of those a "centerpiece".

So would I have a problem with a single snakeskin or neon blue gourami?

I don't think that you will have a problem with a single blue or snakeskin gourami. Why not a couple of pearl gouramis? They are much more attractive.

Alright. After doing some research I have come up with a new idea. Doesn't look like there are many solitary fish that mix well with with my smaller selections so I decided to go with a nice shoaling tank.

10x Cardinal Tetras
10x Ember Tetras
10x Emperor Tetras
10x Lemon Tetras
5x Bolivian Ram
1x Bristle Nose Pleco
1x SAE

I know it it is a little overstocked but it should be OK. Right? I decided to go with ember tetras instead of barbs because I have been reading that South American tetras and Asian Barbs don't do so well together. Let me know.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Aquarium Advice mobile app

A couple of comments:
Ember tetras are very small and may not compete well with the larger tetras
SAEs like to be kept in groups
I'm a big fan of rummynose tetras. They are very active shoalers.

Alright. After doing some research I have come up with a new idea. Doesn't look like there are many solitary fish that mix well with with my smaller selections so I decided to go with a nice shoaling tank.

10x Cardinal Tetras
10x Ember Tetras
10x Emperor Tetras
10x Lemon Tetras
5x Bolivian Ram
1x Bristle Nose Pleco
1x SAE

I know it it is a little overstocked but it should be OK. Right? I decided to go with ember tetras instead of barbs because I have been reading that South American tetras and Asian Barbs don't do so well together. Let me know.

I think that would be lively and create nifty movement. :)

A couple of comments:
Ember tetras are very small and may not compete well with the larger tetras
SAEs like to be kept in groups
I'm a big fan of rummynose tetras. They are very active shoalers.

Ah. Was only looking at the color. Didn't even realize they were so small.

What if I sub out the SAE and Ember Tetras with peppered corys?

I love corys. My favorites are the adolfoi/duplicareus complex. Just make sure you purchase at least 5 or 6.

Where are you purchasing your fish? I'm assuming that you have a good LFS with a good selection?

Also, are you doing live plants? I have a low tech planted tank that mostly has different anubias species growing attached to driftwood.

I love corys. My favorites are the adolfoi/duplicareus complex. Just make sure you purchase at least 5 or 6.

Where are you purchasing your fish? I'm assuming that you have a good LFS with a good selection?

Also, are you doing live plants? I have a low tech planted tank that mostly has different anubias species growing attached to driftwood.

I do have a pretty good LFS. Some of the harder to find stuff like Emperor Tetras and Lemon Tetras I know they can special order but if not I can get them from online stores. I like Gunpowder Aquatics because they are a pretty local breeder in FL.

I will be doing live plants. My current African themed tank has some Bolbitis, Madagascar lace, anubias, vals, and a very large tiger lotus. All doing very well with no CO2. Had to get some floating plants (frogbit) to provide shade to my anubias. Lost a nana to algae :(. That's all in my 75 with a leopard ctenopoma, delhezi bichir, African butterfly fish, and 9 congo tetras. I am considering getting one of the featherfin cats.

In this tank though I am not too sure what to use. I know that it will most likely be lower light than my 75 for the sake of the tetras but I can't really think of anything other than Java Fern. I am going to need something tall that does well in lower light as a background plant. I was thinking just snapping up some water wisteria or red ludwiga. Not sure though. The water should be around 76-77 degrees and 6.5-7 ph.

This is actually my first dive into South American fish too. Any suggestions for rock/driftwood use would be helpful too! If you can't tell, I like to keep my tanks natural looking but I don't go so far as to make biotopes. I generally just keep fish from the same continent. To be honest I find it difficult to believe that most of these fish have NEVER seen the likes of the others.

Thank you for the assists so far btw.

Sounds like you know what you are doing. I love the African themed tank. The only fish missing is an elephantnose.

I have lots of anubias of different varieties in my tanks. I don't know the species, but I purchased one tied to wood at Petco about 10 years ago. It never really grew for 8 years but took off after I switched to T-5 HO and then LED lighting. The stems and leaves are almost 12" long and it looks great.

Since you live in Florida, you have access to all of the fish farms. Many of them sell through aquabid.com, eBay and directly from their websites. I think I've used Gunpowder in the past.

Yeah lots of farms here but I like gunpowder's facility a lot. Seems like they don't just breed fish to make money, they appear to actually care about their fish. Plus I enjoy the extensive variety of oddballs they have and the fact that almost everything is captive bred I feel better about buying fish from them. Since you brought up SAEs wanting to be in groups, you happen to know the best place to rehome one that I have? I have a refugee from someone's tank and I was planning on keeping him in the other tank but I also want him to be happy...

Back
Top Bottom