Idea for sustaining Scuds

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cohenjl13

Aquarium Advice Freak
So I have my small 40g planted with 4 Tiger Badis in it and they mostly live off scuds they find that I put in weekly. So instead of adding them every week when I remember so every 1-7 days I came up with this little plan to help sustain them.

I hung an extra HOB filter on the side made the flow slow and put a microfiber cloth between the media case and pump to help created a place for the moss and other clippings to rest without much flow.

Ideally the scuds will reproduce and be happy there while some sneak out every so often. Since there’s no threats there they should produce much faster then in the actual tank with the fish!

IMG_0476.jpg

Currently I have a bad algae problem so I put trimmings in there until they get cleaned off. I also put a sinking waffer in once but once it got soft it made a huge mess, still experimenting with the best option. Since there is a flow flake food won’t stay in either!

I’ll let you know what works when I get it. I think my next plan is to shove a price of cucumber down there so I can just take it out when it gets too old

Currently I have a bad algae problem so I put trimmings in there until they get cleaned off. I also put a sinking waffer in once but once it got soft it made a huge mess, still experimenting with the best option. Since there is a flow flake food won’t stay in either!

I’ll let you know what works when I get it. I think my next plan is to shove a price of cucumber down there so I can just take it out when it gets too old
Just a thought, break the wafer into small pieces. They still sink and maybe won't cause the mess.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just a thought, break the wafer into small pieces. They still sink and maybe won't cause the mess.

I can give that a try too. Seems like the problem now is with the cloth in between the pump and chamber there isn’t enough water flow to hold a suction so I’m still messing around with the whole process haha

Last edited by a moderator:
That's a great idea though, I have an extra AquaClear 70 that I would love to do something like this with, perhaps brine shrimp if possible? The 70 has quite some flow, maybe too much. It would be nice to raise my own live food.

That's a great idea though, I have an extra AquaClear 70 that I would love to do something like this with, perhaps brine shrimp if possible? The 70 has quite some flow, maybe too much. It would be nice to raise my own live food.

All about trial and error at this point! I have a 10g tank with only those guys in it so I don’t mind experimenting with this.

Brine shrimp would probably be more difficult since they won’t latch onto anything, they just float around. You could try to just have something hooked on the inside of the tank with slits at the top and a bubbler in it, that way no real current comes in or out but it keeps them moving and exchanges water!

Good luck let me know if you do anything.

What do you mean? I was planning on using a basic filter pad with it but there isn’t enough room to squeeze it in where it is and I like things to look neat and pretty!

Hikari wafers are good which do not cloud up water, just use less and small pieces. The clouding also can indicate there is too much food at one time the BB don't take care of it.

Back
Top Bottom