ideal group size for pearl gouramis

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KylieB123

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I was wondering if a breeding pair of pearl gouramis would be comfortable in a 37 gallon, but several people told me they would be better off in a trio. (less aggression) What would be the ideal group size, and could they fit comfortably in my 37? Also, none of the local pet stores have pearl gouramis, and I haven't managed to find an online fish store that lets you pick the gender of the fish, any suggestions? Sorry, I know that's a lot of questions I'm kind of new at keeping gouramis.

Gourami do not pair off, and are much better suited for larger aquariums. You'll also need floating plants if you're hoping to breed them as they create bubble "nests" at the surface. You'd have much better luck with a group of five dwarf gourami in a tank your size. One male, three females. They tend to peck at each other, and having more of them helps disperse the 'aggression'.

http://www.aquariumfish.net/catalog_pages/gouramis/pearl_gourami.htm#top2

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

You'd have much better luck with a group of five dwarf gourami in a tank your size. One male, three females.
Umm, 1m/3f=4, how would 5 be a better group? Males are territorial, mainly concerning other males of their own species. Extra females aren't going to make any real difference as far as conspecific aggression. If you want a bunch look into sparkling or croaking gourami's, they're really small and pretty mild-mannered critters.

You'd have much better luck with a group of five dwarf gourami in a tank your size. One male, three females.
Umm, 1m/3f=4, how would 5 be a better group? Males are territorial, mainly concerning other males of their own species. Extra females aren't going to make any real difference as far as conspecific aggression. If you want a bunch look into sparkling or croaking gourami's, they're really small and pretty mild-mannered critters.

Back
Top Bottom